DAYS: July 2022 Discussion Thread ⌛

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

i remember the one in which She talks to John That she is suffering as much as everyone for having to watch her Mother die but felt like she was doing the right thing, This was after Marlena got Shot during the Wedding in 2018 and entered in a coma, and Belle found her Living Testament

Let The Emmys Speak For Themselves, but i'm quitting this battle 'cause i just realized I'm not very Qualified to Defend Martha, I'm deep Diving On her DOOL Time for the First Time So I might Get tired of her in the future, But Tell Me, was she any good On GH?

• Members

I know you are quitting the battle, but she was good in those Emmy scenes.  It just feels like something Belle would never do.  Belle should be an optimistic that believes in love and she's just going to pull the plug on her mom?  It's realistic, but does she not even know the miraculous powers of John/Marlena's love? Storm's Belle was a wholehearted believer in this, so it feels wrong.

I remember Martha being pretty good on GH.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

I loved Shawn & Belle’s scenes on Friday—they’re always at their best when they inevitably reconcile after angsty drama.  But the problem is that definitely since their 2015 returns, they either haven’t been invested in or the stories have been harrowingly unappealing (JPL’s Shelle/Phelle triangle) or stupefying (this Jan pregnancy/EJ affair).  And people blame the actors, and I don’t necessarily think they embody what I want S&B to be, but there’s something to be said for familiarity and they absolutely are Shawn & Belle and have been for so many years.  Meanwhile, Kristen Storms was never what I wanted Belle to be, either, and Jason Cook became insufferable toward the end (I wound up enjoying him on GH, but Matt was very different from the Shawn that he pretty perfectly captured through 2002 but NOT ever after).  Like others have said, Ron should lean into Belle being an ice queen with a perpetually wondering eye and BB’s Shawn desperately needs to be fleshed out—in addition to taking the lead at Salem PD (just put a f-ing fork in Rafe), he needs consistent character traits beyond noble and hot.  BB’s sex appeal has been confusingly uncapitalized since his first run.  His turn as B&B’s himbo Owen was great, and leaning into that could maybe even make Shawn funny, which he’s never remotely been lol.  And they’re obviously at their best apart—as stupid as this Jan $h!t was (mostly because of how they contorted themselves to justify Belle’s newest affair), it should have gone on longer… once they get back together, there’s gonna be nothing for them to do (I will admit they’re awfully boring when they’re happy).

On a related note, I hope we get to see Belle react to Chad framing her for framing EJ… they’ve been a surprising hit as friends for me since that bizarre brainwashing-induced romance in 2015 and that got totally lost in the devil/BJ stuff.  And for the love of God, Shawn desperately needs friends and/or closer familial relationships!!

• Members

I'm Quitting but Just For a while, I'm Finishing a 2007 Playlist and I think She's Good, I also checked out 2018, that's why i stated she deserved her Nod Fair and Square, If I Get to Mid 2008 and Don't heat her I'll Be Back In This Battlefield hehehe

As for GH Youtube seems to Agree With you she was good, Maybe the hair color might affect acting abilities after all

• Members

Yeah, MM is objectively good as an actress.  MM's problem is she lacks a certain charisma and likeability Belle should have.  You should be able to build a show around Belle (like Sami) and you can't.  Belle just isn't that exciting.  There is a coldness to the way Deidre Hall plays Marlena as well, but it translates better when she interacts with John, her children, etc.  MM is basically Deidre Hall with better acting but without the star factor lol  MM also lacks the ability to play a credible romantic lead.  Martha would be good on Law & Order or something.  JMO, Martha seems like a nice person, but she's just not what I want Belle to be.

• Members

I would argue both Belle/Brady are horribly miscast.  Aside from being too old (EM is about 7 years younger than Staci Greason lol), neither are what I think they should be as characters.  Martsolf is a lot more likeable than Martha in his role, but man, has Brady had some of the worst writing and stories ever.  The show really hit it out of the park with Carrie/Sami and Eric works just because he should be sort of the forgotten, reasonable twin, but the show missed the mark with Belle/Brady for sure.  It's too late now to fix it for the most part, but those two definitely should be the future of the show and just aren't.

• Members

Recasting Belle and Brady would be amazing. I don't dislike either of them. I do think MM has consistently played Belle as overly calm and mature, with occasional slight anger, and it never fit the character, and frankly it doesn't do her any favors. I don't think she's the kind of actor capable of doing good work on Days, but it's not entirely her fault. EM should have just been someone else.