And here we go...Y&R Promo for 4/11/22

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If the show was good prior to her return, this Diane return would be a huge flop. The way they’re presenting her as a dangerous super villain doesn’t fit any of the previous portrayals of Diane and that includes all three actors. The only reason this somewhat works is because the show was so damn boring and needed a character like this. It’s just a shame they can’t seem to get the character right. 

• Members

Ahem, this loonie tunes version of Diane does not fit the previous portrayals at all!?

And: I haven't watched Y&R in a while but was shocked at the bad make-up/lack thereof on Jason Thompson, Peter Bergman and Eileen Davidson. They all looks really unflattering I that promo. Nice that the show keeps Beth Maitland around, though. She's always great.

Edited by sheilaforever

• Members

Frankly, "resetting" Diane is impossible after everything that occurred during the Maura West days.  She's long past the point of no return.

You're right, it's not like she has implanted a chip inside Jack's brain (...yet).

But, you know, I'm not 100-percent convinced she isn't really Patty Jane but with a "new" face.

Unless she agreed not to return to GC until Jack said so and now she's going back on her promise?

I'm sorry.  It's really great to see SW again and all, but the taint of MAB's writing and MW's miscasting lingers on the character of Diane.  There's just no way this will work out long-term.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I am confused about this. What are you referring to that happened during MW's stint that would make irredeemable? Coz as I remember it she was more pathetic than evil during that sting. 
Diane's two "bad acts" was stealing the sperm - happened under AD - and the pool house fire - under SW. There is nothing that happened after that that was problematic by soap standards.

Yes. I am so glad people are seeing it too coz it has been driving me batty. As long as it is PR, it is irritating and misleading but fine. If they start writing her that way, as I suspect they intend to, then Ill be mad,

• Members

Did they really reset Sharon, though, or did they just explain everything away with mental illness?  There's a difference.  (Plus, I can't recall whether the bipolar disorder diagnosis came before or after that madness, lol.)

• Members

I believe the diagnosis came after.

From there thus the various writing regime changes, they truly did very slowly and very surely reset her IMHO. She tried (note I said tried) to do it without a man, went to thrapy, starting doing odd jobs/services, went back to college for a pyschology degree if I remember correctly, and then landed at the police station as a receptionist while still doing classes. Under Mal Young, she had a LOT of fierce scenes where I didn't feel like Sharon was just saying it to 'act' like she was strong...but she was back to being strong and a heroine. One of the few things I liked under Young. 

• Members

But, if the writers ever find themselves in a situation where they don't know what to do with Sharon - and they will! - they could have her go off-the-rails again and say, "Well, she's just off her meds again."  To me, that's not fixing the character.