ALL: Characters you are surprised lasted so long

• Members

I know.  And LK looks amazing and is super sexy and attractive, but this is nowhere near the character Deborah Adair created.  The smart, saavy business women.  I just don't connect with the character anymore and I feel like the show bends over backwards to make her relevant and be involved in things she shouldn't be.

Edited by carolineg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'd have to nominate Phyllis on Y&R. She came on as a spoiler to Cricket and Danny and tried to pass off another man's child as Danny's.

She was responsible for all sorts of mayhem and it was expected that she'd be punished and be written off like Mari Jo and Lisa Mansfield.

But she came back and got her hooks into an Abbott and a Newman and is still hanging around today.

Stafford has left twice and they still keep welcoming her back.

• Members

Kevin Fisher - The Young and The Restless 

I like Greg Rikkart, but the character should've stayed gone when Mal got rid of him to go to Portland with Chloe and Bella. Maybe he visits here and there, but the character isn't needed anymore and is currently in a supportive role along with Chloe. I'm like, can Kevin start a start-up that takes off that leads to Kevin, Chloe and her children relocate to Silicon Valley, California?

• Members

GH:

Britt- Im surprised that's she's still around after nearly 10 years minus a few stints.

Jax-When I realized Jax was on the show from about the 90s straight till 2010/11 I was surprised. I thought he at least left and came back a couple times, because I had no idea what he was doing in that period between Brenda leaving him and him getting with Carly.

Y&R:

Amelia Heinle as Victoria-I know this is about characters and not actors but I'm baffled she's gone 16 years as a dry lifeless version of Victoria. She'd be better as her own charachter not sassy girl Heather Tom played.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Agreed. Same thing with Michael Baldwin.  Kevin being another one, if they didn't link him with Michael he gave Lilly VD, trying to kill Colleen and torching Gina's. Almost twenty years later and he's still around.

Henry on ATWT. What was initially a villain-underling dayplayer-type role to Katie was fleshed out, lasted about a decade and even was made a Stenbeck.

Lillian on GL, with the 90s when Beth wasn't there. She had the affair with Ed to keep her relevant initially, then stayed around as a "talk-to" for Alex. Also, after Beth "died" in the 80s she could've easily have faded away like Bea Reardon did around the same time frame.

Edited by Spoon

• Members

Jax actually did leave for about a year from 2000-2001 when Ingo booked the primetime show Titans.  Jax left to find a 'dead' Brenda because he was convinced she was still alive (which she was obviously, but he didn't find her lol).  Post-Brenda/Pre-Carly he hooked up with Sam first then married Courtney and had the WTD story over Spencer with Nic because Courtney cheated on him.   I mean, not that it was very memorable, but that's what he was doing lol.

Sam owns this thread.  Considering how ill-received her character was initially I can't believe she has lasted so long, especially since she really has no personality traits of her own.

• Members

Hope from Days of our Lives.. No hate coz i loved Bope even though i am still convinced that it was more Peter that they became popular than her.. She was just a fancy face and it showed.

Everytime Bo was gone her character felt off and unneeded especially after 2015..

As much as i love Chloe on Days of our Lives.. What is her purpose? Like really? Do we have to go through the Brady/Chloe/Phillip Story every 10 years? Her character is likeable and i adore Nadia but come on.

• Members

Hope post-Bo's death lasted longer than maybe she should of.   She was wondering around town aimlessly in a bunch of odd pairings and outlived her usefulness.  Up until then I thought Hope was pretty critical to Days being a Horton then a Brady by marriage.  I don't miss her at all.  The only time it's awkward is when Ciara is doing something Hope should clearly be involved in.

Chloe is a good one.  She is likable, but her character has had more personality traits and weird stories than most characters on the show.  Every time a new writer comes in Chloe changes from good girl, to vixen, to prostitute, back to good girl lol and nothing she does is particularly memorable.

I just browsed through new replies but no one has mentioned RH and ME and their multiple characters on GH?

I am also surprised Alexis on GH has lasted so long.  NLG has suffered through some of the worst periods of being backburned and some of the worst stories, but is still going strong 25 years later.

• Members

i don't mention Alexis or her actress anymore.. I got a lot of backlash for just even throwing that characters name around

Please register in order to view this content

I started to dislike her character ever since the Julian pairing in like 2015/16 and the Carlos Rivera murder. That was her last good story but even that was nerve wrecking... She is a Cassadine i thought and they did nothing proper with that. They could have used her Cassadine side more often.. But its completley forgotten by now that she is.

I love RH and ME but i blame the writer not the actors. I actually do enjoy ME's latest character of Finn. I just wish they would pair him with Hayden again or someone else but Anna. Finn/Anna is such an odd couple. His Silas, Caleb or whatever characters he played were boring as hell and i couldn't care less.. I loved ME's Caleb on Port Charles but this weird PC-Story on GH in 2012 or 2013 was plain dumb and ruined it for me.

I don't care for Rogers Austin.. I still don't get why he wanted Franco to die coz of some rape story from the past. I mean Franco at least had character developement and a strong character arc compared to others but to let him die to pop up as Austin.. Nah.. I'm over RH for that

• Members

I dont disagree but I feel it's easier than one thinks. Two things come to mind:

1:

I was reading through Megan McTavish's archive at Northwestern -- specifically 1998 when she was struggling with Brooke.

According to certain correspondences and outlines the her team wanted her to do a love triangle between Brooke and Anton and Dmitri. She felt that would gross out the audience though and so she vetoed it.

It makes me wonder on how many other older characters could have had fresh stories like that in the later years, on all shows, but wound up getting dribble.

2:

And I read an AMC projection dated Nov 1985 from Aggies archive and there was an awesome Greg idea. 

He was going to fall in love with a Morgan CHANDLER. Morgan was basically Sky (Anthea and Adam's daughter who rejected Adam and the wealth). They were to meet on a cruise ship.

A live triangle with Tad was going to form between Greg and Morgan. Jenny's recent death was going to create a conflict too.

...and yet they say Greg's last year was rough due to a lack of story.