Carolyn and Richard Culliton – The Interview

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There's always been some mythology about how Marland had X, Y and Z 'in his bible' years after his death - I always wondered about the claims re: Carly and others on ATWT. I can believe he created them, but there's a lot of people who also claim ownership of the Carly on GH. For example Claire Labine, I believe, explicitly said she created Carly Roberts/Benson, but I'm not so sure how much the Guza team after her would agree with details of that. I often wonder if Marland or Labine creating certain later characters on their respective shows goes to the original vague concepts and not much else.

• Members

Wasn’t Rosanna already there?  And Mike?  I can believe, knowing Marland’s track record, that he had notes on Carly (or at least a sister), that they were antagonistic, etc.  But ultimately, she was probably very unlike what he would have done with it.

Same with Labine and Carly/Jax.  They may have introduced them, but Guza/Harris used them in ways I can’t imagine Claire Labine would have.  Carly was such a Guza type once all was said and done.  And even he had other writers carry the torch while he was at Sunset Beach and they started the AJ stuff.

• Members

Well, any subsequent writing regimes generally does something different with a character years down the road. I doubt that the writer who originally created Barbara Ryan imagined that she would be a vamp wreaking havoc on the men (and men's wives) of Oakdale while building a fashion business or even further down the road, jumping out of windows and assisting the same ex-husband who once tortured her into kidnapping people.

Also, I am confused about the discussion about Carly and Luke. There was a Carly on ATWT, and a Carly on GH. There was also a Luke on ATWT, created decades after GH's Luke--all by different writers. Are we all talking about vastly different characters? Right?

• Members

Both Carly’s have contested origins- the apocryphal origin of Carly on ATWT has been that she was in Marland’s last storyline bible, but he died before she was introduced and Culliton went forward with the plans.  But maybe Culliton created her altogether.

Same with Carly on GH- Labine claimed credit for her, but once she arrives she is far more like a Guza character than a Labine one, because he and Karen Harris did most of her early writing.

• Members

don’t know about marland and carly, but  according to the kindle single, as the world stopped turning…

“When As the World Turn’s head writer, Richard Culliton, first pitched the character of Carly Tenney to executive producer Laurence Caso in early 1995, both saw Carly as the troubled girl who would eventually bring the complexity and longevity of Reva Shayne to Oakdale.”

• Members

I think maybe the idea of carly was in Marlands plans.  Remember Rosanna had run away to find out about her mom and ended up at the Snyder's.

So I'm sure it was in his bible...but I think Culliton made her a memorable character.  And I do recall she started out warm until she smoked out by the Snyder pond and threw it in the pond.  I liked her for that because the Snyder's were a horrid family