If Pine Valley is picked up and a sucess. Is their any soap you would bring back. And how would you do it?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Edge of a Night would be my first choice, although I would do a total reboot focused on the crime element.  First season featuring a long-standing mystery about the wealthy Whitney family.  Monticello itself would also play a part, a history of macabre crimes.

You could easily do a mystery each season, with overlap in characters, setup of other mysteries as crossover.  I would even just update that classic 1981 era theme.

OLTL would also be easy to bring back, but that one I would not reboot.  Victoria Lord and her son Kevin are trying to keep the integrity and vitality of the Banner while dealing with their community, their families, their rivals (The Sun, now owned by Tina Roberts who has leaned more into her shrewd, cunning side), and the current media landscape.  I would also heavily feature Angel Square, and a current generation of the Grey family.  As much as I loved them, Nora and Bo’s kids (especially Rachel) would be more involved in the show than they were.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I do not think any success with PV would lead to other soap reboots, honestly, but it definitely is fun to think about. It's funny, but I think, story/focus-wise, any primetime-formatted reboot would end up being closer to the original idea of most soaps than what they ended up being.

EON would be a gigantic massive hit in this age of everyone being obsessed with true crime stories, and formatting it so that we saw all of the angles of a crime - the background leading up to the crime, the investigation, the media circus, the medical investigation, the effects on the people involved, the trial, and even sometimes following the convicted criminal into prison if there's a story there.

Peyton Place needs to be revisited by capable hands, periodt. I don't care if it's a retelling of the original story or a sequel focusing on whomever is in the town all these years later. And not a wholesome, happy-go-lucky Hallmark-style story of small town "drama." Give us all of the mess and scandal of the original work, just updated and set in current times.

• Members

Pine Valley is going to tank badly.  They’re going for dark and Twin Peaks which never had broad stream appeal and it won’t now.  Half of America doesn’t know what Dallas or Dynasty was so they sure don’t know All My Children.  It’s sad but we’re old and it’s true.  Trot Cady McLain out and Susan Lucci - no one is going to watch this mess of a reboot

• lucaslesann23 changed the title to If Pine Valley is picked up and a sucess. Is their any soap you would bring back. And how would you do it?
  • Members

Twin Peaks was the biggest TV show on the planet when it aired.

As for the OP, I know what I'd do with OLTL, but while I have no real expectation of working in TV or interest, I'm still keeping it in a drawer and out of the public eye lol. That's just professional 101. People can ask me privately sometime and I might answer.

And Dylan, if you're going to make OPs like this and be all over Pine Valley, you should probably try actually watching the soaps you keep invoking, especially All My Children.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I doubt Ripa or Consuelos give much of a damn about Twin Peaks. They are probably trying to make AMC into Riverdale, which has been a big, overexposed, horribly written and acted waste of airtime. Their involvement (his in particular) are why I am reluctant to watch this. 

• Members

I have a very healthy skepticism given the description of the show, and the generally very slipshod pacing and characterization on most non-streaming or premium cable primetime TV in this day and age. But Kelly, Eva and Sarah have all been doggedly loyal to the show for many years, and I am going to give it a chance. I am on the lookout for the pilot script.

• Members

I think The Edge Of Night would be a great option for a reboot on the Primetime landscape. It can be a procedural with soapy elements including perhaps the romance of Mike and Nancy, as well as the wealthy Whitney family. In addition to perhaps having Mike's daughter joining the Monticello Police Department. 

I've also mentioned on Twitter another soap that should rebooted for the 2020's audience should be Ryan's Hope. I can see them taping in NYC like the original did about the trials and tribulations of an Irish-Catholic family this day and age. Perhaps they can have Delia and Bob be black or POC too. Someone said it can be a mix between "This Is Us and A Million Little Things" 

Edited by Forever8

• Members

OLTL is the one I'd like the most to come back.  I miss it the most of all the soaps. 

I also agree about all the Edge of Night comments. It's way before my time, but considering how popular crime dramas have always been going back to Law & Order, plus the current true crime popularity, I'm surprised  it hasn't been rebooted in some way 10-15 years ago. 

• Members

This is more what I’m expecting in terms of “darkness” and a cross between that show and Brothers and Sisters in terms of tone. In general I’m keeping an open mind. This is unheard of so it’s hard not to have some faith in them if they’re obviously investing some money and energy into it.