If Pine Valley is picked up and a sucess. Is their any soap you would bring back. And how would you do it?

• Members

I just think we’re more likely to get quality products with primetime (or streaming) versions. Fewer content restrictions, better production values, more progressive stories, etc. I get that the soap aesthetics and daily immersions are very comforting.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wonder if the potential opening of Pine Valley would incorporate the “book”/photo album??

Probably not.

Perhaps we’ll get some “DARK” images of pine trees??

Please register in order to view this content

But more on-topic, I need to stop being so bitchy about the whole “dark” thing, but I was so tired of seeing people going crazy over that.

I would love for ALL of the soaps to get the reboot/continuation/resurrection/sequel treatment, actually.

Every soap has/had devoted fans.

Could anyone see primetime Passions??

That particular show seemed like a low-rent Twin Peaks more than anything.

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

Yes, it was, and the crazy thing is, I didn't really realize it at the time it was on the air, but I'm starting to see it now. I follow two or three millennial-targeted Instagram accounts, and there have been a couple Passions posts, mostly with Tabitha and Timmy, and the comments blow up with memories of watching it after school. I never watched regularly, but my routine from junior high until graduation was to get home, fix a bowl of cereal, and switch back and forth between the second halves of Passions and GL (with the occasional GH thrown in).

And honestly, a reimagining/reboot/re-whatever of it wouldn't be a bad idea. It was only on the air for eight years, debuted only 22 years ago, and was always targeted at a young audience. So there's not a whole big decades-long canon to pay attention to, it would be easy and not very jarring to produce it as a primetime/streaming series (as opposed to the time it would take us to get used to watching Erica Kane on single-camera film rather than multi-camera video), and the audience who mostly watched the original show would likely be receptive to any major or minor changes in the new show.

But take something like ATWT. 54 years of source material. Would you just retell the story of the original Hughes family? But then some fans would be wondering where Carly and Jack or Lily and Holden were. Well, let's still include them in the series - so Lily and Holden would be teenagers...alongside Penny and Bob Hughes? And what teenagers today are named Penny and Bob? Okay, well, let's make just make it a continuation of the original series. Do we acknowledge that ten years have passed? Or do we just pick up from where the last episode left off? Who will you still have from the original series? How many new characters will you create? You can't have too many newbies but you also can't just put the show's success in the hands of the small audience who was watching in its waning days.

It's like a reboot of one of the classic long-runners really can't be a full reboot. There's just too much there that can't be ignored. Whereas with a Passions, you can basically start all over from scratch and no one would be upset about it.