Soap staples you miss the most

• Members

It's been mentioned before, but to me it's the holiday stuff and the other echoes of the real world. This is something 5-day-a-week daily daytime could uniquely do to connect with their audience in a way other primetime dramas couldn't. I will never forget where I was when they ran the Bianca coming out scenes on AMC over Christmas, set at Christmas time, as we were all experiencing Christmas in the real world. I watched it live and it felt like you were there, because you were experiencing some of the same things in your life as them.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

THIS. A real brawl is what I miss, the Jill v. Katherine style where the go for broke. 

In addition to missing the Grande Dames, I miss the Fabulous Divas. Women like ATWT's Barbara and Lisa, AW's Felicia and Donna, Y&R's Jill and Dru, GH's Tiffany, B&B's late, great, Sally. The only one left working on contract is DAYS' Kate Roberts. She is truly the last of an archetype that is so sorely missed. Seeing vital, powerful, fabulous women. 

Y&R is so much the poorer for not having Gina Roma running the restaurant, Larry Wharton, Cody at the Coffee House, Marissa Barton working for Michael, Connie at Victor's office, Miguel at the ranch, John Silva handling the lawsuits and Lynn Bassett mooning over Paul. 

• Members

I miss the maids and "talk-to" roles.  It has already been mentioned that the acknowledgement of economic disparity is missing from all of the current soaps.  I just watched an old episode of Y&R when Nina begged Jill to attend the launch party of the Jabot's Men's line.  Mrs. Abbott understandingly told Nina that she could work at the party, but there was no way she could come as a guest.  I appreciate that Nina was motivated to try to fit in, rather than being given carte blanche to waltz into any mansion in town.  That is why I miss the housekeepers and what they added to the family drama.

I liked the scary ones like AMC's Myra (who later softened) and AW's Helga.  Soaps often copied Rebecca's Mrs. Danvers when writing for an older women who terrorized those who dared to come between them and the master of the house.  They reminded second wives, and newly wedded spouses of the young sons of the mansion, that the wealthy were not without their own problems.  Their role was either to expose women of poor virtue, or allow good girls to establish some backbone.  And who could forget Joseph the Majordomo at Dynasty's Carrington estate who hated Alexis so much that he tried to burn her alive in the stables?

I also liked the funny ones like AW's Vivian or AMC's Winifred.  Esther on Y&R was best utilized as a greek chorus to summarize the plot and often serve as the voice of the audience.  AW also had Louise to add some color to the Cory mansion.  They were loyal, and always provided a useful ear so that others in the house didn't need to walk around talking to themselves about their schemes or relationship dramas.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I miss when soap dialogue used more than 3 syllable words. Those scripts on the Curlee GL and even the Sheffer ATWT/Days and Guza GH were really quite great. Now you just have everyone going on trying to sound like an ass. And especially in the Curlee GL, every character had a voice. You could tell a line written for Billy to one written for Holly or Ross or Nadine or the younger set. 

• Members

The verbal smackdowns that would take place in a public place, like an elegant powder room or staid event, where well-groomed and coiffured characters would try to keep a thin veneer of decorum when you know they wanted to take the gloves off and go after each other. The "Ladies Who Lunch" who hurled quiet insults at each other, through pursed lips, all with a smile on their faces were usually quite a hoot!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

One of my favorites was Maria trying to help Erica, who was on the floor desperately picking up all her pills that had spilled out, and their ensuing argument.

Now when there is any character n the dialogue I just assume the actors tweaked it, because the stuff coming out of the younger actor’s mouths is so generic.  But some of those vets still bring some character to the scripts.

It really annoys me, because plenty of soaps have been plot driven over the decades, and they used to still be able to write and act out good dialogue.

• Members

When you watch Dobson-era GL or Russell-era OLTL or pretty much any soap in the late ‘70s, it’s noticeable how much thought and care went into the dialogue. It’s all very nuanced and rich yet natural and varied. They certainly didn’t dumb things down for the great unwashed. 

• Members

Well part of that was also the collaborative efforts of their teams.  You still had a dress rehearsal and folks running scenes back in those days.  By the late 2000’s, you had mostly scenes with folks that knew how to bring something to the script almost on the fly, or not at all.

I think even back in the day, the much more superior talent in front of the camera and behind added to even the best HW.  Someone like Marland, who we know did not like ad-libs or changing his scripts had no issue with Jane cutting lines, in her words to give her room to act.

I see it so much with younger actors.  They say things out loud that their acting should cover.  Not every line needs to be said if you have the chops and the guts to speak up and let it play out in your behavior.

The greatest ability Monty had on GH was to cast folks that could bring character to what was a really thinly written show.  Often totally plot driven, but still had so much texture and rich characters, and I credit a lot of that to the talent and Monty’s direction, as opposed to most of the writing.  Norma Monty/etc were no Pat Falken Smith, yet the show was still watchable.

• Members

I miss the location shoots ,usually in sweeps months when all of a sudden after months of interiors, suddenly characters are driving cars, walking along beaches and falling into lakes.

Then after a few weeks its back inside with some plastic grass and fake rocks serving for the great outdoors.

• Members

Sorry for the double GIF of Anna Kendrick, I was trying to fix the post. Oh well.

I also miss stories that had a proper beginning, middle and end. I realize that some stories got dropped with no explanation, even at the best of times but at least, on average, most of the stories presented in a year were seen through to completion, and most were reasonably satisfying when these shows were at their best.

• Members

I have such fond memories of these shows going on location.  GH did it so much back in the day, but could still make it special.  I even loved the pocket story of Jason/Karen/Jagger stuck on that island.

Again, another staple of GH back in the day.  The characters and their relationships moved forward, but they had tons of umbrella stories that had an actual ending.  Even something like Erica’s addiction on AMC had a two-ish year arc, from the accident to her leaving rehab, and while she was still an addict, that story was over.

Reilly used to be really good at mini stories within the larger plot line- Even the Possession was at about John and Marlenabut still had a beginning, middle, and ending.  Same with the Secret Room, Maison Blanche, etc.

The better shows knew how to stretch one of these out to maximize potential, and or end it and spin out of it and get back in track.

• Members

Yes, the long term storytelling.

Sharon on Y&R had cancer -it was sad, she was brave but sometimes it was too much, friends and family rallied around , she always looked great and she was cured.

No longterm implications there - it just happened and we all move on.

Thinking back to Nikki's mystery illness in the 80's and how it was used to propel the Victor/Nikki/Ashley story.

Had they used Sharon's illness to bring Nick back into her life thus causing problems for Phyllis and Rey. Maybe Phyllis and Rey have a one night stand, Nick realizes he's only back with Sharon because of the cancer. Maybe Rey questions his commitment to Sharon after sex with Phyllis. Nikki finds out about Rey and Phyllis but realizes that could bring Nick and Sharon closer etc etc 

Long term complications...