Soap staples you miss the most

• Members

I miss when daytime soaps were "tune in tomorrow, same time same channel" type of appointment viewing. When I had to rush home to catch any part that remained of the show, even if I was recording it. Just that sense of urgency to see what happened next.

I know I have mentioned this example umpteen times but when James Stenbeck removes his hood to reveal his identity to his ex-wife Barbara Ryan, I hoped tomorrow's school bus wouldn't get too many red lights because I wanted as soon as possible. What I'd already missed, I could rewind the tape but there was nothing else like watching in real EST as it aired.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

B&B: Stephanie Forrester! ruthlessness, power, rage, motherly love all in one

OLTL: Viki and Asa! Asa was the old country JR Ewing womanizing patriarch. He could be funny, disgusting and ignorant yet loveable.

AMC: Erica Kane

ATWT: Bob, Kim, Lucinda, Barbra, John, Lisa and all the other OGs. The multi generational aspect of ATWT as well as their core of vets was the best.

Y&R: Katherine, everything from the her hand gestures to dramatic delivery she really worked the grand dame archetype.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

It used to be so easy to just be totally engrossed in these shows!  The cliffhanger nature could be a dramatic reveal or moment, or even just someone waiting at another character’s door.  The excitement could be just as great waiting one day (or until Monday) for something like Jill knocking on Katherine’s door.

The original story of Katherine sending that cut up photo of Jack and Jill in bed was thrilling, and it was all a simple plot based on their characters.

One thing I hated though was sometimes a story would be so good and maybe on a Tuesday or Wednesday the show would feature other characters.  But that also upped the ante waiting for the story you were really into to be picked back up.