Soaps In Depth Magazine to End Print Publication

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Wow it is the end of era. Even though I never cared for the SID mags in the same way I once did for SOD, SOW, SOU, and the old SON(Soap Opera News) I'm sorry to see it go, I assumed the disruption of new content and print media being the dinosaur it is being good excuse to dip out. Not sure how they did on other networks but I remember the CBS SID use to get heavily advertised during Y&R in the late '00's through at least 2013 or so. 

• Members

Oy, has it been that long?  Like many, I've been strictly Instacart and Prime Now shopping during lockdown which reduces the chances for impulse purchasing at checkout that were the marketing staple of digest magazines.

• Members

Lol remeber when SOD did away with their website for like two years 2000-2002 because they didn't find online presence suitable?

Haha indeed, around the same time they completely stopped local editions and went to a straight National Edition. I remember the following summer my grandma cancelling TV Guide while I was there for her birthday due to the lack of local listings lol. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I don't remember that at all.

Soaps in Depth had one of the longest runs of the soap magazines. These are the magazines I recall over the years; I'm probably missing a few.

Soap Opera Digest - November 1975 to present

Soap Opera Update - January 1988 to September 2002

Soap Opera Weekly - November 1989 to April 2012

Soap Opera Magazine - October 1991 to February 1999

Soaps in Depth - March 1997 to May 2020

Soap Opera News - March 1997 to February 1999

• Members

I'll have to look that story up but there was a time when SOD just didn't have a web presence at all there in 2001 after all the work they put in their old website, 1978-1979 synopsis's for the soaps and all. 

The other two I'd add to your list would be Soapdish from 1996-1999 and Soap-News from 1997-2003.