Noughts + Crosses (BBC)

• Members

After a commission by the BBC four years ago, lots of planning, delays and false starts (following on from a limited-run play and an abandoned attempt at a film), a 6-part TV series, based on a trilogy of famous books by author Malorie Blackman, began broadcast this week. The whole of series one is now up in the BBC iPlayer. I say trilogy, because a 4th book was released last year, inspired by Brexit.

I don’t know how the initial books were received in America, but it can’t be overstated the impact and significance of the books in the U.K early to mid 00’s.

Though aimed at teenagers and young adults, the themes are universal and presented controversially.

The ‘controversy’ (certainly observed by the right-wing press since the 1st book in 2001) is the fact the books are set in an alternative reality where the ruling ‘Crosses’ are black, and maligned, racially abused, segregated and targeted ‘Noughts’ are white. There’s violence, corruption, political intrigue and ultimately love, where childhood friends Sephy (a privileged and principled Cross, the daughter of a high profile politician) and Callum (son of Sephy’s family housekeeper) reconnect and bond in the midst of growing tension up and down the county.

Having watched just episode one so far, it’s visually beautiful and I can see the story from the book, but it has changed quite a bit from the source material, likely for maintaining the story.

Anyone else watched?

Edited by LondonScribe

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I liked it, and given the number of changes the TV series made from the 1st book, I was surprised by how much I did.

It has a stellar cast (Paterson Joseph is brilliant as Home Secretary Kamal Hadley) and is visually beautiful. 

The storytelling won’t reinvent the wheel, but for me, it’s the whole experience.

However, I’m not 100% certain it will sustain enough viewers to guarantee it a second series.

The whole series is on the BBC iPlayer now, though 1 episode a week will be shown on BBC1 in the U.K.

• Members

I’d say it’s reasonably fast paced but can stand still when it needs to.

It’s certainly escapist in setting, but the set-up/overarching theme is very topical.

I’d certainly say watch it if you can, so you can all make your own determination

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by LondonScribe

• 2 weeks later...