Days: March 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

I don't think Ron has the capability as a writer to do such a massive rewrite like that. The proof of that comes from when Jake was revealed to be alive on GH. There were way too many plot holes, the most I've ever seen on a soap. I guess Helena had a stash of dead little blonde boys in storage or something lol. And I know this wasn't Ron, but him bringing back Jake led to the whole Jax paid to get Nelle's kidney story which was ridiculous too.

As for Ben and Ciara, he just needed to take his time with them. He had the chance to do a real classic love story, which could have been similar to Bill and Laura, Luke and Laura, even EJ and Sami and he botched it completely. Ciara needed to constantly have her guard up, (she is a rape victim after all) and be tough and in charge, and overtime go from being thankful that he saved her life after her motorcycle accident but still cautious around him, to becoming friendly with him, to slowly falling in love with him. At the same time, Ben needed to be in love with her but also have the need to push her away, fearing he wasn't good enough for her, or fearing that he might relapse. Overtime, they fall in love. Instead of sinister outside forces keeping them apart, the conflicts that the two of them have inside themselves needed to keep them apart until they were finally past them and became a couple. If that had been the way the story played out, I think it would have been much more enjoyable.

Most important of all: NOBODY NEEDED TO BECOME A PSYCHOPATH WHEN THERE WAS PLENTY OF INTERNAL CONFLICT TO DRIVE THE STORY.

Hell, there's been more psychos in Salem in the past few years then murders in Cabot Cove lol

A good writer does not need destroy countless characters, most of which were very likeable, in order to prop another. And for this whole mess, I place the blame solely on Ron. I always sort of defended him because I did enjoy some of his work on OLTL, GH and DAYS too, but the way Ben and Ciara was written was too much, which is why I think it's time for him to go.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These execution episodes are not Ron Carlivati’s finest moment. Way too preposterous. All these people breaking into the prison with guns; the ball less Warden; the stupidity of it all - no one would ever be put to death within a year with every appeal denied. This is why soaps are laughed at. 

• Members

Probably because of Justin/Kayla. Plus this contract was signed in Summer 2019. No word if he is now back on contract for episodes currently filming

WALLY KURTH NOW ON CONTRACT...

Wally Kurth (Justin), who had mentioned that he was back on contract on a podcast in 2019, finally made the change to contract status in the credits today. For the record, his last episode as recurring was February 28. His first episode on contract was March 2.

• Members

Why did Ben's execution take so long. They injected the first drug and people were still at the house arguing with Evan.

This story is just so bad. Everyone talking about Evan being a murderer as though Ben wasn't a serial killer just a few years ago. It's not like it's been 20 years since he was going around strangling people. The show is acting as though the current audience wasn't watching when Ben was on his pretty graphic kill streak.

And Ciara running around with a gun at a prison, and not a single guard stopped her? Why do the writers have such contempt for their audience?

• Members

It's just horrendous. I was rolling my eyes so hard yesterday when Will and Ciara were all, "We know what Evan is capable of! He's a murderer!" as if all those same things couldn't be said about Ben.

I love how Ciara breaks into the execution room with a gun and a hostage, yet there's not a million prison guards running in to see what's going on. Ciara just gets to keep holding Evan at gunpoint and screaming and making demands. Ridiculous. And then she was telling the warden or whoever, "Evan was just waving a gun around an hour ago and threatening to kill us!" as if she's not also waving a gun around and holding it to someone's head AT A PRISON? She needs to be written off ASAP - there's no fixing the character at this point. She's just stupid.

Marlena crying over this BS in insane. Every single character connected to Ben has been destroyed.

I'm honestly to the point where I miss the Daniel propping because at least he didn't go around killing people.

• Members

The Ben propping is reminding of me of the Sonny and Jason propping on GH, which I had to drop. I couldn’t take it any longer. As you said, Daniel at least wasn’t a murderer.

Every single character in the Ben story looks like a damn moron and the writers actually wrote this sh.it expecting the audience to eat it up because RSW is attractive. 

Ciara and Ben need to leave town for a very long time. Claire needs to be brought back and be the young Horton/Brady/Kiriakis connection on the show. 

• Members

WALLY KURTH CONFIRMS HE IS NO LONGER ON CONTRACT...

As reported yesterday, Wally Kurth's contract stint on "Days" began with the episodes airing this week, per NBC's credits. Kurth had mentioned on a podcast in September that he was back on contract with "Days", and those episodes finally began airing this week. His contract was obviously brief, since Kurth today confirmed he is no longer on contract. So, he either is on contract for the next 13 (or 26) weeks of episodes airing between now and September 2020. Kurth's tweet makes it seem the news I posted Tuesday was that he was on contract for what is currently TAPING this week, but my post was clear that it was about what is AIRING this week.

https://twitter.com/wallykurth/status/1235451796459417600

Edited by John