The SON Also Sets

• Members

Forgive me if we've done a thread like this before, or I'm posting in the wrong forum ...

I thought it would be fun to ask which type of soap character we'd like to play. I would be the pomposity-pricking assistant to either the show's diva or most domineering man. Despite my impertinence, the boss still considers me one of the family.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't know if I could play this type of character, but the archetype I've always gravitated towards used to be commonly found on UK soaps, the tart with a heart. Usually women who put up a strong front to mask insecurity. They're seen to the outside world to be completely lacking in morals but they often have more than the traditional heroines they're alongside. They're always knocked down by circumstances in life, but always mange to persevere and hold their heads up high in the end. 

This was often the archetype a lot of gay British men identified with on these soaps as well. So could be because they often seemed to mirror a lot of the 'gay experience.' 

Like Bet Lynch from Corrie.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Same.  I've always imagined myself portraying Erica's sarcastic personal assistant, Jason, on AMC.  Along with Myrtle and Opal, I keep La Kane honest and grounded.  (Well, as honest and grounded as someone like Erica Kane could be).  In fact, I don't call her "Ms. Kane," or even "Erica."  Instead, I call her "Gladys," because I know doing so gets her proverbial goat.  Just as I know how it gets under her skin whenever I mention Brooke English.  (But, I do it with love!) 

Best of all, she can count on me to undertake silly schemes on her behalf, such as dressing up as a laundry truck driver and sneaking her out of Oak Haven (where her latest husband has stashed her in a plot to get his hands on her money) in a load of dirty linen; and I can count on her to be there for me when I need a proverbial shoulder to cry on, like when my father, an inveterate gambler and flirt (portrayed by legendary actor Omar Sharif), re-enters my life; and when I am diagnosed with testicular cancer.  (The latter storyline, by the way, wins me an Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

I'd want to play a villain that was part of one of the sanctimonious families. I would be Leonard Carver, the son of one Jonah and Lexie who comes to Salem full of rage and a need for revenge after being left in the foster care system for his entire childhood. He'd be the creator of that app that Gabi used to control Julie's heart and would push his way into DiMera by blackmailing Gabi with his knowledge of how she used the app. Then he'd work his way on to the city council and be a foil for Abe at every turn.

Edited by ReddFoxx

• Members

As an empathic person, I am more like a Laura that wears their heart on their sleeve than a villain (although I am not as much of a basket case as she often is).

Maybe the poor to middle class person who always manages to marry into the wealthy family in town.  And both hates and loves them.

Eleni- GL, Lois- GH, etc.

My dream is Abby from Knots Landing- cunning, sexy, and not quite as horrible as the major villain.  Just out to get what is hers, even if she has to steal it or your husband to do it.

• Members

I'd be the Donna Martin - kind of useless, but sometimes gets hilarious storylines like Saving The World From Racism Via Dancing, badly acted pill popping, endless virginity, unbelieveable storylines about guys being hot for me etc. Perfect.

• Members

I'd like to be a sophistic who arrives in town from Europe, like Lionel Lockridge or Cass Winthrop.  Always more comfortable in a tuxedo rather than jeans.  Eternally in his 40's, one couldn't even imagine him as a teenager.  And, an unclear source of income with no concerns about retirement.  

The only thing that would be stretch is that I could ever be humanized by the love of a humble woman.

• Members

It's been so long since I"ve watched 90210 or discussed it, and this just brought me right back. That damn Donna.

I'd play the good-natured but hot-tempered guy from the bayous of south Louisiana who falls in love with the dorky-as-hell but cute-as-a-button gay son of a legacy family (along the lines of Daniel Kennedy's Peter Cortlandt). I come to town and become acquainted with the inhabitants, playing the role of the outsider who calls out a lot of the sht that people in town have just unwittingly accepted and, in some cases, encouraged. I see how much bae's family takes advantage of him, and I fiercely stand up for him against everyone else and advocate for him when he won't advocate for himself. Sometimes that gets me into trouble with him because I'm not above running an underhanded scheme to put a bitch in his or her place myself, but at the end of the day, I love him, and he knows it.