DOOL APP: The Last Blast Reunion

• Members

IA.  It's as if Langan knew the ingredients for good soap opera from his years at Y&R, but didn't have the required vision or imagination to put them into gratifying storytelling.  He should've stayed in his lane as an EP and -- I dunno -- maybe poach Kay Alden from Y&R to work as his HW at DAYS?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That would have been good. Langan reminds me a bit of Mal Young. Seemed to want total control. Remember Lorraine Broderick's unbelievably brief stint as HW in 1999? The potential was there for sure. I also remember a lot of dropped story threads ... and his quick dumping of Louise Sorel and Joseph Mascolo. He also had some Chuck Pratt in him where everyone hated each other (he really seemed to try and trash Bo and John and Jack was comic relief). I will forever love and adore Lexie's descent into DiMera madness, though.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

That was probably the ONLY GOOD thing to come out of Langan's reign, lol.

What I remember most about Broderick's HW'ing stint was how, for the first time in ages, DAYS felt to me like even the more outlandish stuff (I seem to recall a scene or two where "Gina" was communicating with Hope through a mirror, like OLTL's Niki Smith, or AMC's "Mirror Janet") was grounded in some reality.  I felt like Broderick was attempting to strike a balance between the plot-driven and the character-driven.  It's just shameful that Langan wanted only to replicate JER's stuff.

Edited by Khan

• Members

At this point, I don't think Lorraine Broderick would be up for HW'ing ANY soap.  I think she's another one who's been burned too many times by network/sponsor interference and is happier staying an associate/breakdown writer.

No, if Ron ever got fired/demoted/whatever, I've a feeling we'd end up with Dena Higley or Gary Tomlin/Christopher Whitesell again.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I feel like Ron's "it". But he better start turning the show around. The webseries is better produced and written so the potential is there. Albert Alaar and Fran (forgot her last name) seem to be problems in this regime. Not saying Ron's stories are anywhere near amazing (they aren't) but with the webseries, I see potential if care is taken and interference is at a minimum.

Agreed. Sigh. What could have been.

• Members

It was Brash and Cwikly who made Craig Chloe's father.

Yep, and Corday allowed it for a long time because he and Langan had the same vision. Broderick did not, but I enjoyed her four week stint. She did some interesting ground work for certain characters, and some stories that had been dragging under Sussman-Morina were given a shot in the arm.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Langan era even if I also see some of his faults.

Edited by Sindacco

• Members

I want to say Meyers but I could be wrong and confusing my Fran's. Script editor or something she is. I need to scan the credits or do a google search, lol. 

I more or less liked his time. It got a bit ... uglier than necessary but lots of drama and frankly, I'd take some of that about now. Not "everyone hates each other" levels ... I was disappointed by some dropped story threads. I loved his turn for Lexie. He overdid it with the teens for a while. But considering what came after, his time looks pretty golden at the moment, lol!

And my mistake on Craig/Chloe. I'm surprised I didn't remember it was under Brash and Cwickly. Guess it was a quick wrap up like I thought?