Most Successful Child Star on Soaps?

• Members

Despite SORAS, we’ve seen some wonderful young actors on soaps over the decades. 

Some originated their characters and aged them realistically, like Lynn Loring as Patti on SFT (a decade) and Jada Rowland as Amy on TSS, on and off for 20 years.  I’d add Martha Byrne’s Lily on ATWT to that list. 

Others are but footnotes but still show how daytime can be a strong foundation for a young actor’s later career:  Christopher Walken as Michael on TGL; Richard Thomas as Tom on ATWT;  Kathleen Beller as Liza on SFT

But who is the most successful child star graduate of soaps?

I say Jane Krakowski, TR on SFT

Broadway (STARLIGHT EXPRESS. NINE. SHE LOVES ME. GRAND HOTEL.) One Tony and two more noms, plus her win of the Olivier. Cabaret performances.  A wonderful concert CD. 30 ROCK. UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT. ALLY MCBEAL. (Emmy and Golden Globe noms.) Wonderful bits in films as a child and adult (love her in DANCE WITH ME). She’s never not working, and she seems to have a great reputation and relationship with her peers. 

Not to mention her two Daytime Emmy noms!

I didn’t think I’d be hearing from Jane after SFT. I’m so glad I’m wrong. 

I think Jesse Lee Soffer from GL and ATWT and Brittany Snow from GL have the potential to go the distance as well. Soffer is successful in prime time as is Snow with her second series as a lead. 

Who do think should join the list?  Can anyone dethrone Krakowski?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't think any these actors are above Jane right now but ...

Sarah Michelle Gellar! Started on AMC the same age Jane Krakowski was when she started on Search. Though her acting career hasn't amounted to much major success since Buffy, it will always be a cult favourite along with Cruel Intentions. A lot of younger people I've talked to, only by a few years in some cases, recognize her as Daphne from Scooby-Doo, which makes my blood boil, but just adds to her relevancy I guess. She certainly would have been above Jane during her peak years and to some people potentially is more famous.

Jake Weary! Certainly a rising star like Jesse Lee Soffer. He does great work on Animal Kingdom. He was in the critically acclaimed film, It Follows, and had a memorable role in IT: Chapter Two. On a separate note, looking at his Wiki page, I am dumbfounded that he was involved with the brief FRED fad that Nickelodeon cashed in on. What an eclectic career he's had.

Spencer Treat Clark! He was a child actor on Another World as Spencer Frame. He plays the boyfriend of Jake Weary's character on Animal Kingdom. He first came to my attention with the remake of The Last House on the Left where he gave a very strong, sympathetic performance. He's grown into a personal favourite of mine, both because of his talent and looks.

I will say, of all the long running soaps, it's kind of embarassing how little, if any, of DAYS' child actors didn't amount to much. Erik von Detten looked he was going to breakthrough, but his career just kind of fizzled and he's basically out of the business now.

In contrast, off the top of my head, YR and ATWT have a lot of actors who were on their shows for mostly brief periods of time that have solid careers. For instance,

Penn Badgley (YR)! Easy A, Gossip Girl, and especially You, where his work was critically acclaimed. He was recently announced to be involved in an upcoming Billy Crystal/Tiffany Haddish film. Not a pairing I'd ever thought I'd see together, but nonetheless a good move for him

Thomas Dekker (YR)! Consistently working and as of 2017 as an Out Gay man. Personally, I thought he should have been recognized for his work in Cinema Verite. He was brilliant.

Zach Roerig (ATWT, OLTL)! A big win with The Vampire Diaries, having a major role on a successful (for The CW) show for 8 seasons, and he's been used sparingly in both of its spin-off series. He has a small, but integral role in a new war film coming out theatrically early next year with a bevy of major film stars that includes Peter Fonda in his last film. 

Paul Wesley (AW, GL)! The lead star of The Vampire Diaries. He's done some directing as well and is on the CBS All Access show, Tell Me a Story, another Kevin Williamson project. Where, coincidentally enough, he works worth another Casey Hughes in ...

Billy Magnussen (ATWT)! His career has gone from strength to strength since ATWT ended. He's a Tony nominee and seems to be well favoured in the industry. I could easily see him winning major accolades in the future.

I'm going to stop there and give other people a chance.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

Anna Kendrick is a child star but she didn't come up through the ranks of soaps. She has as many credits as Brit does. And, they share the Pitch Perfect movies. She started on Broadway. Ex-Marah, Laura Bell Bundy is regularly on Broadway.

Edited by Donna B
Broadway; spelling

• Members

Didn't end up completely successful but Danny Pintauro (original child Paul Ryan on World Turns).  Was in Cujo, then went on to Who's the Boss.  People wouldn't likely remember him today though.  I am a little older than he is but i remember after ATWT it seemed like he was popping up everywhere.  He's apparently a veteranarian or something now.