Punky Brewster

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sarah Michelle Gellar interview

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/rambling-reporter/sarah-michelle-gellar-on-philanthropy-punky-brewster-and-surviving-pandemic

Nostalgia has driven a lot of people to rediscover so many pieces of content during the pandemic. What have you turned to?

I have a tendency to go back to books. That's definitely sort of my passion, to reread. And actually, my husband is on the new Punky Brewster and we just watched the first two episodes with our kids last night. It was so cute because it brought back so many memories. I remember going to school with two different colored shoes, the bandana and the whole thing. To hear my kids laughing and watch them be so into it, it was a crazy, full-circle moment. I know it’s my husband but I’m not the person to say, “Oh, it’s amazing" if it's not. I will be honest and say, “No, OK, that’s terrible.” But the show is so charming and especially now when people are looking for shows to watch as a family. There’s only so much that every single one of us can watch together. I can't wait for the rest of the episodes. My daughter was so mad they only sent the first two. She's like, “I need to know what happens!”

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What???? I mean the show ranked #60 in the ratings but everyone watched it.

Please register in order to view this content

Interesting that both stuck up gal pals married latinos. I still can't see SMG with Freddie. Freddie  is too good for her.

• Members

lol, I NEVER watched it on television. I mean, I've watched just about everything classic/old. It was NEVER rerun and if it was I was too young to pay attention LOL. I've seen bits. I know it's massively popular. I always wanted to watch it. I guess I could have found it on YouTube LOL

Edited by KMan101

• Members

PB (the original, not the revival) was one in a line of kid-centric shows from the late '70's and '80's -- like "Diff'rent Strokes," "Silver Spoons," "Webster," etc. -- that never grabbed huge ratings but were massively, even insanely, popular with younger audiences.  In fact, I think the only show from that genre and period that ever cracked the Nielsen Top 30 was "The Facts of Life."

"Full House" did better, of course, but I always associate it with the "second wave" of kid- and teen-friendly shows that started in the late '80's -- as stars like Gary Coleman, Rick(y) Schroder, Soleil Moon Frye and the FoL girls were "aging up" -- and continued in the next decade.

Edited by Khan