Stark Differences between Chrome & Firefox

• Members

Usually I use Google Chrome, which hasn't been perfect because over the past several months, I've noticed that the banners have been out of proportion (perhaps due to my enlarged font size? My laptop is huge and the fonts usually look very small by comparison so I enlarge the font) which causes the text to kind of "wrap" and the banners and thread headings to be misaligned.  It looks weird.

Today, I decided to use Mozilla Firefox because I am doing some maintenance to open up some disk space on my system (don't ask) and it's just easier to confine myself to one browser and Firefox seems a bit more efficient than Chrome right now.  The only thing, is...my font is tiny!  The banners are all in proportion (unlike Chrome) so everything is properly aligned.  Also, I have a TON more EMOJIS than I seem to have with the Chrome browser!!  Does anyone know why this is the case??  And in Firefox, all my emojis are in color, while in Chrome, only the oldest emojis are in color and all the rest are in Black & White.  Does anybody know why this is?

Is there some way I can fix this?  Either I need the fonts in Firefox to be larger without messing up the alignment of the banners and the Thread headings.  Or in Chrome, I need to fix the alignment of the banners and thread headings without having to reduce the font and figure out why the emojis are limited in number and colors.

Am I making sense?  Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks in advance.  It's a relatively small/aesthetic thing but it's annoying and some effective advice would help.

Please register in order to view this content

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Since we can't comment on the latest Options article, I'll just say again that maintaining this site via only one person however well-intentioned and admirable is clearly not viable.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Don't mean to be a pest but PMs don't seem to work (I only know because someone tried to PM me and I can't respond because the Error message pops up when I click the Reply button) and YouTube video no longer embeds in the post.

I hope I'm in the appropriate thread for this.

I wasn't alerted to your response @Vee even though I clicked the "Notify me of replies" button. I had no idea there were any replies to this thread until today.

• Webmaster

The PM system is working. The direct link to get to them via the subject title is not.

There are ways to get around that until a fix is in place such as clicking on "Go to Inbox" link (https://boards.soapoperanetwork.com/messenger) that appears when you click on the envelope that shows you the list of your PMs. The only link that isn't working the subject line of the PM within the envelope box. Otherwise, once you are in the PM system itself...everything works as it should.

This is the first I'm hearing of Notify me of replies not working. I have alerts across the message boards and I've never encountered a problem nor have been informed of one. When you say you never received a notification, what do you mean? How did you subscribe to them and what method did you expect to be notified?

The weirdness you are encountering in Chrome has nothing to do with this message board. From your description, you have made changes to how you use Chrome which causes things such as the banners and fonts to look differently.

Font sizes from one browser to another browser isn't because of the message boards. You indicated you made changes to your browsing in Chrome, but not in Firefox, which means things are appearing as they should. Having additional emoji's available to you in Firefox than in Chrome isn't because of the SON Community. It is because of your browser. Everything you are describing has nothing to do with the SON Community but how you utilize one browser compared to another browser.

• Members

Thanks for your reply @Errol.

I thought that when  clicked the "Notify me of replies" option at the bottom of the thread that new posts made in this thread would be indicated in the Notifications section, the way it does when someone makes a post in the Status section and everyone who has participated gets a Notification.  I guess I was wrong and it is only if someone quotes or tags me directly?

Thanks for the hack for the PM issue.  I was creating an entirely new message and addressing it to the person who sent me (I don't get many PMs these days thankfully) to respond to the previous message but your way sounds much more efficient so thanks.

Both my browsers are customized but I guess Chrome somehow warps the layout and hides the emojis.  I doubt Google has the answer.  Maybe when I have the inclination, I'll look into what could be the cause. Firefox maintains the proper layout but the fonts are small.  Oh well. It's not that big of a deal, just aesthetics.

Thanks for responding with such detail to my inquiries.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I will miss not having an off-topic area, so please let this be temporary. I wish there was a way that the board would only load that forum to registered users, as I guess the whole guests lurking makes things slower on the board. Since that section isn't the main focus making it only visible to people logged in, would be okay with me.