Weird City

DRW50

• Members

This new Youtube anthology series, by Jordan Peele, popped up today with two free episodes. 

I haven't watched the second episode as of yet (I do know it has Rosario Dawson and Michael Cera).

I watched the first one mainly because I've always liked Ed O'Neill (and I also thought he was pretty hot in MWC's first years) and I was glad he got a chance at some romcom material. And seeing that the usual Twitter social justice warriors were frothing at the mouth over this episode and how "problematic" it was to see Ed O'Neill paired up with Dylan O'Brien, the favorite twink of tumblr and twitter, just made me even more curious. (and boy did I get some laughs out of the reactions of the fans who always wanted to see him playing gay...)

The show is very try-hard and a bit cloying, but is decent enough. The 'romance' is not really the main priority (the way it would be in Black Mirror), as much as just part of setting up a pattern of general weirdness, but O'Neill and O'Brien are sweet together and the moment where O'Brien helps O'Neill's screwed-up son is actually genuinely touching.

And there are some great supporting actors in this (Levar Burton, Susan Ruttan). 

I'll post the second one as well.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived