Y&R: RIP Kristoff St John

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'd almost forgotten that Neil was initially interested into Olivia, and Dru was obviously into Nathan. Bill Bell loved his sibling quadrangles - I guess this was his first attempt at doing it with black people. 

The Barber/Winters brought so much vitality to the show in those early years, yet even then, the show was accused of having its black characters in a bubble and very much in their own little corner. However, I didn't mind as Y&R was always the one soap where characters didn't always have to intersect and some popular characters would never cross one another's paths. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Those same 'fans' are the ones that never had any use for the Barber/Winters family and wanted the entire group of actors & characters recast and/or written off altogether.

When was the last time you heard soap fans CONSTANTLY advocating (over decades) for replacing an entire VETERAN core family? One or two characters, sure, but never a whole family.

• Members

He did it with his initial Black characters too. They just weren't related. Jazz had a thing for Amy who had a thing for Tyrone.

Once Tyrone started wearing whiteface & dating Alana, Amy began flirting with Nathan until she disappeared with Nathan becoming the center of a love triangle between Liv & Dru.

The thing is that The Barber/Winters were initially VERY well integrated into the canvas. It wasn't until a terrible decision by Bill Bell (driven largely by major behind the scenes drama) that everything changed.

• Members

I doubt they did.

It reminds me of an article I read about how UPN and the WB filled their roster with many shows/sitcoms with a majority black cast, most of which brought high ratings.  After these networks cultivated audiences, then proceeded to 'transition' out of this by canceling many of these shows.  

By the time both networks merged into the CW, with shows like Gossip Girl, the CW's programming bore little resemblance to it's network predecessors.

• Members

I think the writer of The NY Times appraisal missed a lot of the fückery KSJ/Neil endured before he was sidelined.

I’m glad the piece recognized VR’s contributions. Throwing their erasure of her in their faces in the paper of record.

From Rebecca Budig: