Surviving R. Kelly

• Members

Please tell me y'all have been watching this craziness! I've looked at R. Kelly sideways since I was like 12 when all the infamous video was released and never understood how people continued to support him without calling out the very obvious and blatant abuse going on in his circle. At this point, I'm turning up to Ignition whenever it comes on, but that's the beginning and end of any reverence or respect I pay him.

Outside of the very disturbing stories the various women have been sharing, the most interesting parts for me have been seeing how certain career points were very carefully plotted with an agenda in mind, namely how "I Believe I Can Fly" was partially meant to solicit support and praise when people were starting to get hip to his sh!t. I was in elementary school when Space Jam and the song came out, and of course, I had to hear it literally everywhere, including about a week or two when they played it in the cafeteria at lunch time every single day. I hated it then, but now it just grosses me out.

In the midst of delving into all of this, I listened to his "song" I Admit from last year in which he spends 20 minutes offering excuse after excuse for everything before exploding at the end. It's actually pretty terrifying, and he really sounds like a man who doesn't have long for this world.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Does anyone have a link where I can watch this?  I don't subscribe to cable anymore so I don't get Lifetime.  If anyone knows of a solid, virus-free link PM me.

I did see there were like half a million tweets about the series though.

I don't own any R. Kelly music but somewhere I still have Aaliyah's debut album, which I can't seem to part with.  The next time I come across that CD, I have to remember to scrub out R. Kelly's blurry image (where he hovers in the background, from what I remember) with very thick black magic marker.

On that debut CD, her cover of At Your Best sends me and breaks my heart all at once.  Even more so when I really stop and consider the lyrics and what must have been going on in her life at the time she sang them.

The fact that she was just one of multitudes of young Black women who were exploited by this creature...

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Folks on a show admitted to committing crimes in the name of R Kelley and no one is asking that these people be prosecuted because they shed a few tears?  

Lady Gaga and others???  Needed a documentary to see the truth?  

So many despicable people here...some worse than the actual predator pedophile!  Fed children to a disgusting sicko and no one is challenging this!

• Members

Interesting that executives from RCA and Sony claim that dropping a well-known artist from a company/label is not a decision that they take lightly when both have been known to dump well-known and highly regarded artists all the time.

My guess is that both are biding their time to see whether outrage diminishes over time, allowing them to go back to "business as usual" or whether there will be a sustained drop in airplay and a decline is sales/downloads.

Why It Could Be Hard to Mute R. Kelly

• Members

The Gaga post seems about as fake and try-hard as she is most of the time. I've only ever really listened to the version of "Do What U Want" with Christina Aguilera, so I tend to forget that the more well-known version has RK (nor have I seen the video). I'm not understanding her attributing the song to repressed sexual abuse when it is quite obviously about sensational journalism.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

"Mr. DeRogatis veers from expletive-laden indignation to choked-back tears when describing the effects of Mr. Kelly’s alleged behavior with what he estimates to be at least 48 women. But he has a special frustration with the rest of the news media, which, he says, failed to follow The Sun-Times’s investigative lead, and for years made light of the charges or ignored them altogether."

Dream Hampton has had to post a guard outside her home and Mr. DeRogatis has had someone fire gunshots into his home.  That perpetrator has never been caught.

• 2 weeks later...