DOOL: Vet Returns Again

John

• Members

From we love soaps

Thaao Penghlis Returning to 'Days of our Lives'

Posted by 
Thaao-Penghlis-Tony-DiMera.jpgThaao Penghlis, who has played Tony DiMera and Andre DiMera off and on since the early 1980s on Days of our Lives, is back filming at the iconic soap opera.

Penghlis' Andre was killed off Days earlier this year but he has made sporadic appearances since then. 

Penghlis revealed on social media that he was back filming at the set once again. 

"Loved being with Deidre Hall this week," he posted. "Vets make a difference in case some people have forgotten. We build a great foundation on Days that was years in the making. Walk through the door and speak truth. Next. #days Opens a New Window. ⁦@DeidreHall Opens a New Window. ⁩ thank you."

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Budget and production schedule. Rotating actors means they can keep contract players with less guaranteed episodes - these returns are short-term and thus paid less. The production schedule allows them to work around guest actors' schedules + plus they film a lot more episodes in a week than rest of soaps so the time commitment is smaller for them. For example last week DAYS filmed 8 episodes: 13565-13572 (airing 4/2/19-4/11/19). It's so crazy that it's September and these episodes won't air until April - we're almost at 7 months in advance now. 

Oh and I'd take any appearance by TP - he's still got it. I hope he's one of the 'undead' - they show really needs a fun bad guy. 

• Members

7 months ahead. 

that is just......no wonder this show is dreck of the worst kind right now. 

Question. why can't/won't they go back to filming 5 episodes a week? I have always been confused about this since they went to this awful taping schedule. 

• Members

You are correct. Unfortunately, the choice is no show or a show that is operating in a vacuum - there is no way to abandon a S/L or characters that aren't working and there is no option to capitalize on a story/character that captures the audience's attention. It's a real shame, but that's the reality. 

I tried to watch DAYS on my quarterly catch-up on NBC's Roku app - I noticed two things: 1) extremely long scenes - like 2 - 4 minutes - that's hard to watch especially since the dialogue doesn't really move things forward; and 2) the commercial blocks - on the 2nd break when I saw 1 of 7(!) for 3 month old episode, I quit. Maybe I'll try again in a couple of weeks. I kinda hate giving up DAYS completely.

Archived