M*A*S*H on HULU

dragonflies

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh wow. M*A*S*H was one of those shows that was always on when I was a kid, but I never really sat down to watch because it seemed so depressing and dreary-looking. (I saw Altman’s movie in college.) I know the sexual politics probably won’t hold up very well, but I wonder if I should try to watch a few episodes. I always found Mike Farrell oddly attractive, even when I was much younger.

• Members

I never saw more than two episodes.. and it wasn't my cup of tea... but of course, I loved Small Wonder so my tastes run a little different than most peoples

Please register in order to view this content

However, I did read that the earlier seasons were funnier and once Alan Alda inserted some influence.. it became more political, etc.  Is that accurate?

• Members

Pretty much.  Larry Gelbart, who had developed the series for television and produced the first four seasons, left; and most M*A*S*H fans agree that the show wasn't as funny after that.  Not that it ever became a BAD show, or an unwatchable show, but it definitely became more sentimental (and, some might say, preachy).

• Members

M*A*S*H probably my favorite and still watch btw  1983,  M*A*S*H bows out after 11 seasons, airing a special two-and-a-half hour episode watched by 77 percent of the television viewing audience. It was the largest percentage ever to watch a single TV show up to that time.  I also like Small Wonder I am all over the map what I like.

• Members

I like the Trapper John/Henry Blake/Frank Burns years. After that, it wasn't bad, but definitely less funny and the slapstick element some early episodes had takes a hike. And the only actor that appeared in both the movie and series was Gary Burghoff's Radar, who seemed much savvier in the film than he was in the series which, IMO, sort of infantilized the character.

• Members

LOL! I don't think the show was on (or at least don't recall) when I was in Greece. And, sure, the show is in reruns in the US but I guess I never checked it out (cos I barely turn on the TV anymore) and I wanted to start from the beginning. 

• Members

M*A*S*H has been in reruns constantly for as long as I can remember, everywhere, and never an episode at a time, ALWAYS in large blocks, way before that even became common. It goes up there with Lassie and Gunsmoke as one of those quintessential Saturday afternoon syndicated rerun shows that your grandparents fell asleep in front of.

And still, I've never seen a complete episode.

• Members

M*A*S*H came on at 10 pm after back-to-back episodes of Mama’s Family in my hometown. So I’d watch Thelma and the gang, and when those mournful horns of “Suicide is Painless” chimed, I knew it was time for bed. I guess that Pavlovian response just persisted for me.

• Members

Ha Ha Ha Yes ! It is one of those shows that has always been in reruns even when it was still in primetime. Anytime there is a network showing old programming they always purchase Bonanza, MASH, Gunsmoke, Andy Griffith, The Rifleman. In my neck of the woods there are about 6 networks running big block of it into the ground on a daily basis. 

Archived