GH Actress Demoted

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To start, I like GF, but I still don't get why this was a thing - it's not like GF has been on the show for 40 straight years. People seem to be selective when it comes to her and her history of abandoning the show, taking other contract roles (DAYS/AMC/Y&R) that pretty much precluded her return, leaving when she didn't get the contract she wanted, etc. I'm guessing the current media thinks she's basically been there the whole time.

I'd argue her leaving in late 1981 resulted in dozens of jobs being lost, salaries cut on ABC as the ratings plummeted, which opened the door for CBS to take back daytime. 

• Members

The issue is Genie has been treated like crap under many producers going back to 81 when Monty told her she wasnt necessary cause TG was the whole show to JFP when Genie asked for summer vacation but was told she had to give 4 months notice. She just wanted the same deal TG had.

Genie's Laura and her story with David Hamilton & Scott is what saved GH from Cancelation in 78. There would be no show if not for that story in 78. Gene is GH no mater how many years she actually been on.  

Dropping her now and not wanting to discuss it with her. Come on be professional Frank

• Members

Maybe in another time, this wouldn’t be a big a deal to many.  But the show is filled with characters and actors that should be cut long before Genie.

Three head writing teams have struggled to keep Franco on the canvas and have it make sense.  I loved Howarth as Todd too, but it’s been hard work and re-write city to keep him on the show.

Easton has been four characters on this show in less than ten years.  All because Frank likes him.  Again- I’ve liked him at times too. But not to the point he deserves this spot over others in the show.

Michelle Stafford is playing the most generic female character of her career in daytime.  I know her paycheck is not small, and I don’t wish her unemployment, but over people the show doesn’t value why do we pick her?

Finally the fans are well aware that she has been given a raw deal by GH several times, while Tony got whatever he wanted.  She quit during 2002 because she wanted the same time off Tony got.  Not on a JFP show.  But Steve Burton, Tony and Maurice got to sit in on writing and make demand after demanding with story?  She was called fat by an unnamed line producer when she came back from maternity leave.  She overheard at 20 or 21 that it didn’t matter if she died due to drugs because Tony was the show, which in later years she confirmed came from Monty, who then apologized for what she said.

All these soaps have to count on as viewers are ones that remember better days and stay out of loyalty, habit and history.  New ones are not as steadfast, so throwing away a legacy means more today than it has ever before.

• Members

GH continued to be number well after Genie left in 1981. It wasn't until 1988-1989 when The Young and the Restless became #1. So I don't buy your assertion that "ratings plummeted." And I've never once heard about dozens of jobs being lost and salaries being cut after she left.

As for her taking other contract roles and leaving when she didn't get the contract she wanted, so what? She's an actress and she's entitled to pursue her art and pursue a living. She wasn't treated well by GH so she walked. I don't blame her one bit. So she's supposed to give up roles on other soaps in the hopes that GH will bring her back? That's absurd. 

• Members

Also- it’s impossible to remove how angry fans have been about the show for some time.  

Frank is the only executive that has been a constant, through some messy writing teams and the losing of beloved characters.  He’s still there, and people are fed up.  

The fact that it was Genie he fired in a moment when the unfairness of the entertainment industry towards women has been a huge topic is all one big mistake that he should have avoided if he was at all tuned in to anything going on in the media.

Many people do not enjoy Laura, but a lot do.  I bet some of those that dislike or are indifferent to Genie are angry enough at Frank for years of bad shows and decisions that they are happily enjoying his mistakes getting him a public throttling.

Not to mention salaries didn’t start falling dramatically until the early 2000’s.  Well past the 1981 heyday.

From everything I have read over the years- she loves the character.  She loves the show.  She’s had some terrible treatment by ABC over the years and it has hurt her repeatedly.  I’m hopeful ABC will begin to rectify this, because the time is now.  The male talent on this show have gotten almost every demand they ever wanted and the women have been told to do their jobs and be thankful.

In an era when romance is still incredibly popular but so is the strength of the female characters, you see how lacking daytime has become.  I’d rather watch something like Outlander than fight my way through the crap daytime is pushing anymore.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

"Updated February 28: Soaps.com has learned that ABC executive Nathan Varni is hoping to bring Genie Francis back to General Hospital in a bigger capacity. In a recent podcast interview with Daytime After Dark, Varni confirmed that Francis was currently on recurring status but that the writers want to create a big storyline for her character, Laura. In fact, they are brainstorming on just that and hope that Francis will be interested in the idea. Stay tuned!"

I was under the impression she already had a story in place. Oh yeah, Frank Valentini screwed the pooch and let her go. Idiot! Varni is back tracking and hopefully both of their jobs are in peril!

Archived