The Justin Timberlake Thread

• Members

Not to be a contrarian, but, I wonder if we can throw Justin a bone for being just as young and easily manipulated as Britney?

He was 19 when his solo project was being produced.  He didn't write Cry Me a River, nor did he direct or conceptualize the video.  It is equally likely that a PR person at his record company came up with the Britney cheated narrative to promote his first solo single.  JC Chasez was releasing a solo project the same year, and it is probable that Justin's team felt the need to supplant his record with some sort of drama in order to gain more press.  Arguably JC was a better singer and dancer, but Justin won the charm offensive, and was more willing to use his personal life to promote his career. 

With regard to Janet, he is 100% at fault for the "wardrobe malfunction".  However, he could not control the narrative of how the press portrayed the situation.  I believe that there is no statement that he could have made at the time that would have turned the tide for Janet because a mixture of racism and sexism fueled the tabloid media.   

Edited by j swift

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic