Sign in to follow this  
Toups

2018: The Directors and Writers Thread

In quite a few posts in the Y&R/Y&R Spoilers threads, I've mentioned Angelica McD in tandem with Mal Young because she (besides Kent) is the constant throughout the many regime changes at this show. 

I did wonder whether the Rosales family was on her wishlist but I never stopped to process the fact that Rosas is her maiden name.  How narcissistic of her, lol!

If she had GL & ATWT on her hands, she may have less time to interfere with Y&R. Or not. 

Angelica is a friend of Julie Chen's, so let's see how long she is for CBS. I'm sure she'll land at Warner Bros. if she leaves CBS since her husband works for the WB show, TMZ. 

On 9/17/2018 at 3:09 PM, mikelyons said:

While I sometimes read Highlight Hollywood (http://highlighthollywood.com/2018/08/the-young-and-the-restless-sony-to-be-rocked-by-metoo-movement-several-women-considering-lawsuits/) with a raised eyebrow, the mention of Mal being abusive to female writers was apparently about Beth Milstein, which my source told me after it was published. She's apparently not at the show anymore & considering a lawsuit. 

Also, a lot of the turmoil that has been seen on screen & behind the scenes in the last few years has been down to Angelica McDaniel. She's running the show into the ground as she attempts to make it in her image. The establishing shots, new sets, change in lighting, increased pacing, firing of vets are on down to her. This new Rosales family is her baby, her idea, and a rift on her maiden name (Rojas...or something like that). She needs to go. Now. Since CBS pays the licensing fee and has pushed out the Bells, Steve Kent isn't to blame for everything... 

Very interesting......but it is from HH, so there might be a grain of truth to it while a lot of it could be exaggerated. But if Milstein is really gone from Y&R (we'll find out in a couple of months), it will add some credibility to the story.   

3 hours ago, Toups said:

Very interesting......but it is from HH, so there might be a grain of truth to it while a lot of it could be exaggerated. But if Milstein is really gone from Y&R (we'll find out in a couple of months), it will add some credibility to the story.   

Agreed.

I will say that Lynn Marie Latham sued Sony/Bell Dramatic Serial Company for about $1.25m when she was fired from Y&R. They settled for about $250,000 and, from as far as I can tell, it was never leaked to the press. So, even if the Beth Milstein thing is 100% true, we may never know if the parties involved don't publicize it. As always, once I know a bit more, I'll share what I can.

I've liked some of his work on Corrie and EE--but like with Mal, why hire these people who worked on such different soaps if you're not even gonna slightly try to go in that direction (I don't think they should, but it just baffles the mind.) 

He was a consultant at AMC and made zero impact from what I could tell. 

Edited by EricMontreal22

Sigh... does this guy know anything about Y&R? Its history, its characters, its DNA? For that matter, does Mal?

The UK soaps Daran Little wrote for obviously have great characters and stories which are embedded in his consciousness from growing up here. But I doubt he has that connection with Y&R.

These shows keep hiring failures from other shows or complete strangers, like they are automated writer-bots that will churn something out according to a pre-programmed template. It is this generic writing-by-numbers which has killed the Daytime genre in the US.

Edited by Cat

Daran Little is a soap writer through and through and is pretty gifted. Especially on shows he has some to expert knowledge, he previously working on the Coronation Street archives, for example. He is a favourite of Bryan Kirkwood who first brought him to both Hollyoaks and Eastenders (when he was there).

But the key is he has a working knowledge of all those shows. I'm wiling to bet he has little to none when it comes to The Young and the Restless (assuming that's the show he's going to), but I also suspect Mal Young (assuming he was indeed recommended by Young) doesn't require that of him. I presume it's his dialogue writing and ability to write within the parameters of a British/1 day-1 episode format and his past brief experience with All My Children that made him an attractive proposition.

For me, the last 6-10 (?) weeks behind the scenes pretty much confirms that CBS/SONY are at completely different ends of the spectrum to Y&R viewers- especially long-term viewers and that Mal Young's power base appears to have increased significantly. Newman sets (both domestic and business) discarded, Dark Horse set, Abbott CEO set changed, other long term sets stopped being used, Crimson Lights made smaller, lighting, the Rosales family, treatment of Paul, Ashley, Hilary, the seeming side-lining of the Winters/Ashbys are all indicative of someone had been given the keys to a palace and had gone in with sledgehammers.

Edited by UK LAW
More suitable word.

Sign in to follow this