2018: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

Daran Little is an accomplished and respected writer, Coronation Street historian (he was initially their archivist) and credible storyteller. 3 out the the 4 remaining ‘traditional’ British soaps over the last 15 years have employed him to write for them, such is his talent...

Be that as it may, what does he know about The Young and the Restless to qualify him as a Story Consultant? Unless he’s there to consult on the existing stories (rather than the traditional function of the role which is to tie-in the past and advise on historical accuracies) which in itself puts into doubt the trust Mal Young has in Sara Bibel to interpret his story directions. 

Perhaps it’s no more than what the role of ‘Story Consultant’ or ‘Executive Consultant’ has been on Y&R since 2005 when Lyn Marie Latham was given the role after Bill Bell’s death- a placeholder position for him to get to grips with the show before being moved into the position Mal Young (or the higher ups) wants him to be.

Whatever way it shakes out, unless he’s learned from a decade or so ago, his latest attempt at America might not end up much more fruitful than his All My Children stint did- much fanfare, little effect, no impact, back to the UK.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Truth to that! In the 90s John Zak has also been great great. Cynthia Popp is doing exceptional work every once in a while, but her general style is more bland. I think Stich groomed Jennifer Howard who has been with B&B since 2002 and is also solid...

And ever since last year (former All my Children) editor Anthony Pascarelli has been directing all the fancier big-cast-episodes like the Fashion Shows. I've been pretty impressed. Stich's trademark were the location shoots which he probably helmed on a 2 cent budget worldwide. Hopefully, the rest of the directing crew can keep up with that!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Errol unpinned this topic

Archived