Soap Opera Pet Peeves

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A couple of phone related pet peeves and probably just nitpicky on my part:

- People rarely say goodbye. They just seem to hang up, usually abruptly. It was more dramatic in the days of flip phones.

- I've noticed this a lot on Y&R, when talking on their (presumably) iPhones, you see them on the home screen without an active call.

- Showing the text message on the screen in a speech bubble rather than just doing a close-up of the phone. Remember when Victor sent Hillary a thumbs up after she aired the parkade footage? I really liked that.

• Members

Did any one of those female characters have a rape as brutally depicted as Eden Capwell's rape?

BTW, a female Facebook friend of mine believes that more male characters on Santa Barbara should've been held accountable for their actions.  She would have liked for Dr. Zach Kelton to go on trial for Eden's rape.  Also, the friend would have liked for Peter Flint to go on trial for his crimes.  She feels that even relatively good characters such as Cruz Castillo and Cain Garver should've been held accountable for their actions.

• Members

Nobody ever watches TV, unless it's for a plot point and then some big ass TV will be oddly positioned on  the set for that purpose.

It would be much more natural to have a character watching TV (some generic background voice/music) and then hit mute/off when the phone call/visitor arrives.

• Members

Me, too. Lucinda Walsh was very good at that. I also remember a few instances of Nikki doing that at the ranch during the early 1990s on Y&R.

I was watching some 1980s ATWT clips the other day and it made me chuckle watching someone dial with a rotary phone. But they dialed the full number!

• Members

It was before my time, but AW's Iris (Beverlee McKinsey) would rotary dial with a pen as not to ruin her manicure.  Someone once shared a memory of a scene where she dialed the operator asking to be connected to a character in St. Tropez.  The operator reminded Iris that she could direct dial to which she replied, "Then what are you there for?"

• 1 month later...
  • Members

B&B is horrible for this.  People not only walk into other people's houses but go to their bedrooms.  When Sheila returned she just helped herself to Katie's house and when the police questioned her.....LOLLLLLL Katie said....well, I guess my door was unlocked, so.   So your door is unlocked so that means anyone can just come and go?  B&B is also awful for flashbacks.  They have a scene and literally the VERY NEXT SCENE will flashback to what just happened 3 minutes before.  And then they'll do IT AGAIN.  It's god awful.  They don't even wait until the next SHOW.  The flashback the next SCENE.

Archived