• Members
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is but I found it hilarious lol. She's gone who cares? All HWs tell you what they think you want to hear and very few deliver. Soaps are in a rut and coasting by in an effort to survive

Thanks for the links (and I mean that, not being snarky and I honestly had no ill intent with wondering why we have to live in a society with labels).

and yep Mal sure has his work cut out for him. He has no scapegoats it's all on him. Unless he performs miracles we will eventually be talking about yet another producer and HW change.

• Members

Also, this is making me think Mal may have been another fast-ish replacement and they may look for someone else in the meantime. I HIGHLY doubt he'll make it through being both EP and HW for long.

Yeah, that would have been a good way to handle it, IA. But considering she lost her only remaining family member and was devastated, I'm sure she wanted to be like -- OK, here's four stories, that's what's going on, I'm out.

• Members

No worries, all good. I think the conversation about labels as it pertains to sexuality is still a little gray, there's arguments for and against but labels help people identify a community and common individuals which is super important for groups who are still discriminated against. 

At this point I really hope that Angelica is going to give Mal his shot or whatever (I have zero confidence he can do both jobs) but she's also ACTIVELY looking for a real headwriter and I mean getting people to submit longterm story plans for characters, doing interviews, etc. I have a hard time believing that it's that hard to find a HW honestly.

• Members

I guess I don't see hack the same way lol

+1

i think many would want the job but soaps have to start getting out of their bubble and bring on fresh blood. I'd like Mal to impress me but no one seems to last more than a year or two anymore

• Members

Indeed, lol.

Now, I'll say this much: from what little I've been able to glean from this board, Twitter and elsewhere, Mal Young seems to possess a genuine fondness for Y&R, its history and legacy within daytime television.  Which might go a long way toward building trust and goodwill with the audience as he fills the HW'ing chair.

However, if there's anything I have learned from Sally Sussman Morina's relatively brief time in this particular gig, it's that a fondness for this show (or any show) isn't always enough.  To win over the fans, you also must be able to keep it compelling and fresh.  Is Mal capable of doing this without alienating more of Y&R's audience in the process?  Time, as they say, will tell.

• Members

Also, I don't think Sally is a hack. I think she's a boring writer and a mediocre talent. She got a lot of credit for who she worked for rather than her own output. 

I'm really annoyed that Kay is tied to this because I still have a lot of respect for her. What did she do exactly? Cause Sally very clearly made it seem like all of the ideas and stories were hers. Did Kay contribute at all I wonder? 

Archived