GH: Passanante OUT!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not gonna lie- I LOBSTER LOVED her 1st year at ATWT.  The re-introduction of Meg, introducing Gwen, the baby switch, Iris Drumbrowski, reuniting my Matie- there was A LOT to love during her first 18 months IMO.  Then it all fell apart.

• Members

Lucinda's Breast Cancer, Keith & Lily (looking back, it wasn't so bad), Emily shooting Paul on New Year's Eve in that fur coat, Meg & Dusty, Craig & Rosanna's exit..... I was SO hooked on ATWT then.  If I'm being honest, I loved Hogan's stuff too.  From 2000-2007, ATWT was can't miss television for me.  It's too bad they ruined it, though I did actually like a lot of what they were doing in the last year, especially Barbara & Henry.

But you have to remember JPiss also created PEG, paired Carly with JL's Craig, Jack & Katie, Craig & Meg, that awful crap with the teens at the lake, Gwen's doppelganger Cleo.... There was A LOT of dreck then. 

Her headwriting tenure at AMC sank that show in record time, to the point that the only storyline I remember was Libidozone, which says something.  AMC had been such solid soap for me under Lorraine Broderick and even McTavish.  What it sunk to under JPiss was a crime.

AW also was a major problem area.  Didn't she take over for Richard Culliton?  Culliton had done solid work at AW and was actually repairing a lot of the damage that had been done with previous writers.  There was a level of intelligence again that hadn't been seen in quite some time.  Though I think much of what she did was network mandated, she was left with a show that was in solid shape and the pendulum truly swung.  Everything that was good about AW's last year (and there was a lot, believe it or not) I attribute to Goutman.

• Members

I really wish Culliton had been given more of a chance with AW at that time.

I liked most of Hogan's stuff as well for ATWT. I was definitely hooked and watching during his time and into Jean's first year. But man. Like you said, and listed out, there was a LOT of dreck. Lots LOL.

• Members

^

This. 

Besides that, there is nothing legendary about her. A true artist would fight against the system for their work, their masterpiece(s) to be shown. All that is running through my mind is that old adage that "well-behaved women rarely make history" and that is the case for JP. Being a 'company girl' might've paid off in the long haul as she kept a job at all times, but no one will be referring to her work in this genre as a masterpiece 50 years from now... except for one poor soul. 

I think you two have pointed out valid points that JP had a semi-solid first year on ATWT, but that sh-t went sour quickly. I grew tired of her constant stories that focused around a woman's uterus, which seems to be her niche. 

And anyone that thought that Jack/Katie would've been a great pairing should be stoned. That was the most painful pairing in ATWT history. I was so glad when Austin Peck's Brad finally took Fluff (Katie) from Jack. 

The constant propping of Meg was grating too. Meg only became interesting the last few months she was on the show and reverted back to the character's bitchy attributes from decades earlier. 

Jeanine P's HW runs -OLTL was a boring mess.                                                                                                                                                                     -AW was cancelled before she could do any real damage.                                                                                                                      -AMC- She killed Gillian and gave us Lidiozone.                                                                                                                                   -ATWT -  Marginalized ATWT's history & core characters.                                                                                                                       -GH- Was mostly dictated by Frank & Varni. Jean feverishly & desperately tried to make failed, unlikable                                                     characters work. While completely ignoring vets. Creating boring and meandering stories.                                                               This is Jean Passanante ''legacy''.a far cry from Nixon's. Marlands and Bell's legacies. 

Archived