Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Larry Hagman was 47 in 1978 and 60 in 1991. It's well known that he was a heavy drinker and his later health issues are documented.

Ken Kercheval was 43 in 1978 and 56 in 1991. It's also documented that he was a heavy smoker and had lung cancer in the 1990s.

• Members

Found this new 2 part interview with Steve Kanaly. He is honest about is time on Dallas and the crappy way he was let go from the show. I noticed anytime a cast member is asked about Victoria they kind of dance around the subject with an evasive answer and they quickly move on......was she difficult or just aloof in her own bubble ?

• Members
Posted (edited)

Steve Kanaly was the only long-time (as in part of the original cast or introduced during the first two seasons) male cast member across all three CBS primetime soaps that got salary dumped. I've pointed this out before but when the CBS primetime soaps were in budget mode, it was mostly the long-time female cast members that got salary dumped.

He mentions Linda Gray was let go the same time he was, but I always thought Linda left Spring 1989 by her own choice. Linda wrote in her book that when her contract was up she chose not to renew and just walked away.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

True. Then again every Linda Gray article/interview I've come across over the years has always said that she left by her own choice. 

I don't know if it was the 1985 or 1990 departure, but Charlene Tilton once said that Lorimar wanted her to say that she left by her own choice but she wasn't down for that and said she was fired. I believe the 1990 departure was reported as lack of storyline but I say salary dump.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I agree - and I would add "going after younger demographics," because it seems like, in just about every case, a veteran actress was getting replaced by another actress who was younger, less experienced and cheaper.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I could see CBS being the one to push Linda Gray out. Considering how prominent she was in the follow-up movies, as well as the reboot, she must have still enjoyed portraying the character. It's hard to say, though. Maybe she just wanted a break after a long-run.

• Members

That is totally possible.  But I have to think that the longer a show runs, the more expensive it becomes to produce that show; and the more expensive a show becomes to produce, the more vulnerable the older/veteran cast members whose paychecks get heftier with each season become as well.  So that, in cases like Linda Gray's, even if she just needed or wanted a break from playing Sue Ellen and the opportunity to take on new roles, she also probably knew or at least sensed that the suits at CBS and Lorimar weren't going to fight as hard to hold onto her than they might've in the past.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I blame the costuming, I just watched this scene on Dallas's TikTok channel, and the dress with matching earrings would be enough for me to quit, if only to maintain my self-esteem

Please register in order to view this content

Is this Sue Ellen's final season? Because they're discussing Pam in hospital, not letting anyone see her.

I also re-watched her final scene.  It has some fun banter with JR.  But, the whole movie conspiracy seems hollow.  Because if she held it in a vault for years, how could she be assured anyone would distribute it, let alone see it.

Edited by j swift