Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Members

I thought Pam was under appreciated by the producers. She was the second most important character after JR. I thought the show functioned better without Bobby than without Pam.

Charlene Tilton is an actress with limited range. I wish they had cast someone who could really play the vixen, someone more like Pamela Sue Martin.

The season following Who Shot JR was kinda dull - I agree. The show didn’t really perk up again until they started dealing with Jock’s death a season later. That season, plus the two following, are the series’ strongest years.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So Gayle Hunnicutt is an actress i adore and she's my all time favorite Irene Adler ever, but it wasn't until now that i discovered she was on Dallas, i searched around and couldn't find much, except she was Called Vanessa Beaumont and Gave J.R. his first born! there's no videos of her except when James reveals he's JR's kid and When James Outs Cally's pregnancy, she doesn't have much to say on either Occasion, since i have such a hard time on finding Dallas episodes can someone tell how she was like and what she was up to and most of all the general opinion on her? i always care about what people think of an actress I care about

• Members

I remember recently doing a re-watch of Dallas s7 and I started to realize that a season with more than 20 episodes requires a lot of filler.  Primetime soaps achieved so much in a single episode that plotting a story for an entire season seems exhausting when binging it later. 

I prefer Knots over Dallas, (and certainly more than Falcon Crest), but one thing that Dallas did well was having tent-pole episodes like the BBQ or Oil Barron's Ball, where characters reacted to recent events rather than propelling the story forward.  They were sort of a harbinger for the mid season finales that we get on shows like Grey's today.

• Members

According to Many comments on Youtube many viewers think she would've worked better on Knots, and i'm one of those because i would have loved to see her Going head to Head with Abby (i know she would get at most at Abby's chest ok) and Jill Bennett, but i understand they avoided it because they wanted To keep Gary and Val younger at the eyes of the audience so you have been saved from seeing more of her

• Members

I  think she would have been in the way for much of the early-to-mid '80s, but by the late '80s, when Val  and Gary were clearly out of stories, and the show was not really as full of strong dramatic performers (instead having people who were charismatic but not as knockout in the dramatic realm), I would have seriously considered having her appear on Knots again. The ludicrous story with Valene going nuts would have been more heartfelt and less camporama if she had gone back to being younger (mentally) and Lucy was there to spend time with someone who saw her as a peer rather than a daughter. 

• Members

You’ll notice that both of them choose their words about Victoria a bit carefully. Charlene ultimately says, “I got along fine with her.” By contrast, when Charlene was asked about Linda Gray, her first words are about Linda being “amazing - lovely, sweet…” 

Haven’t we all worked with people who are not outgoing or overly friendly and can be prickly at times?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I believe the hesitation from Charlene Tilton and Audrey Landers stems from the way the question to them is worded.  The interviewer basically says, "We've all  heard the stories about Victoria Principal being difficult to work with, and the others not getting along with her."  This makes it sound as though he's interviewed other actors who've admitted these allegations.  (Instead, he's merely regurgitating rumors.)  Tilton and Landers look around with some uncertainty, then they hesitate, and then they both say they got along fine with her.  I believe they think it's a "test" of some sort.  They're afraid to shrug and say, "Oh, she was fine to work with", because it might make them seem naïve, out-of-the loop, and unaware of their own workplace.  That's basically what Charlene Tilton says.  "No!  To this day, I'm just clueless, I guess.  If there was any friction, I wasn't brought into it.  I don't know that there was, and I don't believe that there was."  That seems like a pretty nice way of saying, "You don't know what you're talking about, buddy."  Tilton obviously doesn't want to seem like a complete dimwit who didn't know what was happening on the set, but she seems pretty adamant that she never observed any "issues" with Victoria Principal. 

My suspicion is that Victoria Principal was a fairly "driven" performer, who wanted the part of Pam pretty badly -- even showed up for her audition dressed the way she visualized Pam -- tried to improve her craft while she was working on the show, and then simply moved on when she was finished with the part.