Actress Debbie Reynolds Rushed To Hosp. After Stroke

Roman

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I’m imagining Carrie Fisher right now, shaking her head and, after a wry smile, saying, “You couldn’t let me have one day alone, could you?” before Debbie pulls her into a big hug.

A few years ago I saw her on an awards show with Carrie and was worried about her. Something like this - it's unthinkable, losing a child. I'm just glad she is at peace.

It's easy to underestimate how tough Debbie was and how much she faced - one of the most humiliating and publicized Hollywood affair scandals ever, aging out of the cute roles that made her a star, struggles with her kids, with bankruptcy, with being one of the studio system stars, one of the last, a system that collapsed and left many of its actors and actresses facing career desolation. Yet she was sardonic and witty and funny - bitter too, but in a way anyone would be. Not in a way that defined her life.

She also loved Old Hollywood and worked for many years to keep the memories and memorabilia intact, even at cost to herself. 

I'm sorry it ended this way, it's so terrible it just hits me right in the gut, but you could say it's something straight out of a classic Hollywood tearjerker - the old Hollywood she treasured. 

Archived