Family (1976-1980)

SoapDope

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
On 22/03/2017 at 7:18 PM, amybrickwallace said:

Yes, David Jacobs wrote many of FAMILY's very best episode.  Whenever I saw his name in the credits, I knew we would be in for a treat.

On the other hand, when I saw Charles Pratt's name credited as writer (for LIFE GOES ON, another family-oriented dram from the past), I would cringe in fear, wondering how he would ruin the episode and characters that night.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

What's also interesting about reading that article is that 25 years have passed and the longevity records that DALLAS and KL both held have long since been broken. The record-breakers, of course, are L&O (20 seasons) and L&O: SVU (still running and in its 18th season). Even Michele Lee's record for the most appearances by an actress on TV was broken by L&O's S. Epatha Merkerson.

Getting back to Family, it only lasted for 86 episodes. In the original 1976 miniseries, I always thought it would make more sense to air "Thursday's Child" before the pilot. Yes, I know the pilot was made first, but I think "Thursday's Child" really told more about who the Lawrence and Maitland families were all about - and it would have made Jeff's adultery all the more jarring.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I was watching a rerun of T.J. Hooker the other day and Gary Frank was the main guest star. It was pretty funny to see "Willie Lawrence" as a deranged Bible salesman who became more unhinged as the episode progressed. Still, he did a commendable job. I'm not sure why he never had a bigger acting career after Family.

• Members
On 3/22/2017 at 8:07 PM, vetsoapfan said:

Yes, David Jacobs wrote many of FAMILY's very best episode.  Whenever I saw his name in the credits, I knew we would be in for a treat.

On the other hand, when I saw Charles Pratt's name credited as writer (here on FAMILY or on LIFE GOES on, another family-oriented dram from the past), I would cringe in fear, wondering how he would ruin the episode and characters that night.

I'm pretty positive Pratt never wrote for Family...

• Members
On 30/10/2017 at 10:17 PM, All My Shadows said:

I'm pretty positive Pratt never wrote for Family...

Actually, you are right.My original comment here in this thread was unclear and poorly worded. I meant to say that Pratt either wrote for Family or Life Goes On, but I was unsure which one. I just remember seeing his name and cringing when it appeared.

Edited to add: instead of relying on memory about events that took place decades ago, I have checked my records and it was indeed Life Goes On, and not Family, which Pratt wrote.

Thanks to AMS for the incentive to clarify the facts.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

I wish they would get off their duff and release the rest of the series. VEI picked up finally released the rest of Matt Houston and Hotel several years after the first season of those shows came out. Maybe if people were to write in and request/suggest, they may pick it up. Shout Factory is another.

Eight is Enough was manufactured from Warner Bros. on demand. That could be another option from the copyright owners of Family. The only thing is those DVD's most of the time will not play on computer disc drives and have to be played on an actual player hooked to a TV. It's a protection thing to keep from bootleg copies being made.

• Members

My late mother definitely did not care for Sada Thompson.   She thought that Ms. Thompson was too perfect.   She admired that she was a lady of size and was dressed neatly and stylish, but she said that the character tried too hard to be a perfect mother and wife.

We really liked, instead, James Broderick as the husband.   My mother recognized him and said that he had played one of Ellen Lowell's boyfriends on As the World Turns.   (He had also been on The Secret Storm, but she did not watch that.)  Jim Norman was the name of the character on As the World Turns.   He and Ellen had become engaged, but, upon learning that she had given birth to a child, he dumped her and left town.

• Members

This show is pretty much getting lost with time. Most people under 35 probably have never even heard of it. I couldn't tell you the last time the series was seen in reruns. The 80's probably. 

If a network would take a chance and run it, it may develop a new audience. 

• Members
1 hour ago, SoapDope said:

This show is pretty much getting lost with time. Most people under 35 probably have never even heard of it. I couldn't tell you the last time the series was seen in reruns. The 80's probably. 

If a network would take a chance and run it, it may develop a new audience. 

So many classic TV series are available around the web, if only on those sketchy dowloading sites whose legality is in question, but most of Family's episodes are not to be found anywhere, alas. Except, of course, for the first two seasons which have been released on DVD and a few others on youtube. I'd love to get copies of the entire series, and have been searching for years without success.

• Members
12 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

So many classic TV series are available around the web, if only on those sketchy dowloading sites whose legality is in question, but most of Family's episodes are not to be found anywhere, alas. Except, of course, for the first two seasons which have been released on DVD and a few others on youtube. I'd love to get copies of the entire series, and have been searching for years without success.

There is a uploader on youtube called vcrcooking that uploaded a few episodes from the later years. It is from reruns in the 80's on the Lifetime channel. The quality is so so, but still watchable.  

https://www.youtube.com/user/vcrcooking/videos

• Members
6 hours ago, SoapDope said:

There is a uploader on youtube called vcrcooking that uploaded a few episodes from the later years. It is from reruns in the 80's on the Lifetime channel. The quality is so so, but still watchable.  

https://www.youtube.com/user/vcrcooking/videos

Yes, this uploader has a few eps of Family on his channel, which is great.

I also love all the miniature set pieces he makes, like this: