Y&R: November 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

Lets be honest none of this month was Pratt. it was written by interim writers. Pratt has been gone beginning of August he departed. Pratt sweeps were a towering inferno, plane crash or something huge. Mal Young so far has been a dissapointment. even the Phyllis and Jack stuff fallout was pretty much JFP material. Ratings are much lower theb they were under JFP.  I never thought I would be saying Jill phone home. its kind of mystifying with her high ratings and two emmy wins she was let go.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cassidine its Pratt in name only. when a HWer leaves 4 months ago. Jill was fired in early June and Pratt only stayed until beginning of August. his last stuff was basicallty the Phyllis and Jack fallout that was back in Sept. anytime a head writer change happens things can be tweaked and changed. so far Mal has been here 6 months and only great week hes had was Phyllis and Jack fallout which was all JFP stuff still. the show is very boring and ratings have slipped bigtime.

• Members

I have to agree with the Board here - umbrella stories really haven't worked for Y&R. In many respects, the show was like a 'peek' into the private lives and world of a community and it was pretty isolated. The problem with big umbrella storylines is that they get convoluted and there is a lot of repetition. As I've mentioned several times this year, the #1 priority is developing leading men in 20s/30s for the female characters already on canvas. That group has to be developed. Forget the teen stuff, let's get some action for Mariah, Abby, Summer, Chloe (not Kevin), Hilary, Lily (28 going on 58), etc. Chelsea is fated to be in Nick's orbit and that's OK for now since they do work well together and there is a logical obstacle set (plus one more if Adam returns). 

• Members

LOL at being in court two or three days after Dylan's proclamation! And shame on the writers for making Chelsea look petty by telling Nick. At least Chloe's motivation for letting Sharon see Christian fits her character. Chelsea is above that, especially considering she's keeping the biggest secret of all! And what a mess with Travis quitting interviewing and not getting the job coupled with the Lame nonsense. If anything, the past six weeks have shown that Y&R actors across the board are true pros for playing out this garbage. If I didn't know a new regime was starting next week, I'd have gone back on hiatus. 

• Members

Oh, absolutely. It's a great way to start, but it can't be where it ends. And I don't think it will be -- as @ajsp35801 said, we already know of several characters/families that are about to be used again. Is it going to be any good? We shall see. After all, we're only a week away!

Not true (unless you are talking about 2004 and after). Y&R has done great umbrella stories, some of them business, some not, and when done right, and the characters utilized properly, they have (mostly) been amazing. They may not have been the everyone-gets-a-rare-disease! type, but still...

• Members

Umbrella stories can work on Y&R if they are business stories. Otherwise, I'd say no. When they used the foundation to tie Winters to that Philly story reveal it was just a fail. Lily and Devon fighting over his affair with Hilary AGAIN years after it happened was just silly.  The show should have used Ashley, Abby, Traci, and Summer in those scenes. It just made no sense for any Winters to care. 

• Members

The main issue with umbrella stories on Y&R, and any other story in general, is that they haven't been written well, nor have the characterizations been right. Y&R is not inherently unable to do umbrella stories, as some suggest. 

That being said, those are tougher and more complex to do -- perhaps taking it easy, with separate stories for separate groups, is the way to go for a while. 

• Members

The aftermath of this baby switch is totally lackluster.

Dylan, you did nothing wrong, and you're his uncle. You'll always be in his life, you don't need visitation. He's your brother. Go visit your nephew. Nick doesn't hate you. And these people are in court two days after Thanksgiving. This is beyond stupid.

It feels like they're just spinning their wheels until the new creative team starts.

• Members

They've never had a "I don't love you anymore" conversation.  A week after the reveal, they were completely out of each other's orbit.  Seeing them together at Crimson Lights last week was the first scenes they've shared in quite some time to my recollection.

Prior to that, the setup of B&S having offices in the Jabot building was the premise for them to keep bumping into each other, apparently it's not a factor once they stopped fuckin.  Maybe one of them started taking the freight elevator or some [!@#$%^&*], idk.

Archived