Unpopular Soap Opinions 2016

• Members

I don't care if someone has coasted through  the role for 5-10 years . If they've run their course in the role then recast. A good example of this would be Maxie Jones who needs a recast and a reset. 

I don't mind SORAS but I hate uneven SORAS. Keep all characters born around the same time the same age. 

I don't think the problem is newbies because you need to have new people to keep the show fresh. The problem is horribly written newbies who are forced down the viewers throats and underdeveloped.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why are these unpopular? lol They should handle SORAS that way!

As for newbies, lets not forget the horrible casting, too! If they're interesting, complex, and played well, why not?

As for an unpopular opinion (perhaps), related to newbies, I don't get the whole "why aren't they related to so and so?" or "You GOTTA tie them into a family!" Um, no. You don't. Soaps often do that in desperation because they're not well received or in lieu of actually giving them a personality. It's so cheap and obvious. I welcome strangers who build relationships, good or bad, with our mainstays. Not everyone needs to be related.

• Members

Yes the horrible casting!  And Amen to that sentiment of tying them to a family. I completely agree! I'm tired of the forced family ties. Why can't someone be related to no one in town like in real life? Or simply have just grown up on the other side of town so our main characters didnt know them. And why so many long lost kids like no one has ever heard of distant cousins?

Speaking of casting I'm also tired of the word fan favorite. There are very few true fan favorites on soaps now. Just because the show or soap press calls someone a fan favorite doesn't mean they are. And just because someone has been on the show for 5+ years doesnt mean they are needed or add anything to the soap. 

• Members

Certain characters seriously need a recast...GH's Morgoon and Jason, DOOL's CiaraY&R's Snortoria.

I know this won't be popular, but I don't mind Budig on GH. She's not channeling Greens like Howarth channels Todd into the character. I'd rather  after all the buildup that her character was involved somehow with GH's past or present characters. but I don't mind her...and I hate at least 60% of the characters on the show...

I don't need to see Will back from the dead on Days. Just start writing for Paul and whomever else ends up in his future. Between Smirky CM and "let the fans do the work" Wilson, Will was thoroughly in need of an exit. At least when they killed him off he was fighting Ben so he could protect Abby and others...

I actually liked Rafe during the Nicole baby story...

• Members

Based on this wks rating across the board soaps are hemorrhaging. I've been watching over 40 yrs and love soaps. However you can't write them like they are still in the 60's in the current timeframe. Women need to be portrayed as they exist in 2016 now. Yes there is still drama but women need lead acting roles not just prop's for their mates.. They are stronger and breadwinners. They don't put up with cheating over and over. They restart their lives when need be and so do men!  Carly now is a lap dog for Sonny. The show is about a hospital. Sonny was a great character but why can't he play a modern shady guy. Jason is boring. B and B seem to keeping it more current. Y&R also is more modern day. Why do s/l's consist of 5-7 different ones. How about more seamless, all important and not filler s/l's. JMHO

• Members

My unpopular opinion is that I think the recast list for GH should be longer. I'd also add Maxie who as played by KS has run her course. I liked JL in the role and really saw some maturity in Maxie.  Which was all destroyed when KS returned. KS was an okay child actress but her acting hasn't improved since her Disney days.

I'm not sure why they didn't take the opportunity to recast and reset Kristina when they decided to bring her back but LA need to go. She's always been wrong for who the character should be and she's comes across too bratty teenish. 

And Molly needs to be recast preferably after sending her to an offscreen college. Haley Pullos has been on this show for almost 10 years  yet still hasn't made an impact. She can memorize lines but she can't act.I've seen her on GH and off GH and there was really no difference between how she played the roles and ironically they were both named Molly. She's alright on the sidelines where she doesn't have to contribute much but she's not a young lead to center a group of characters around.

Archived