R.I.P. Pat Harrington

applcin

• Members

His daughter posted on Facebook of his death on January 6. He had been suffering with Alzheimer's. He was 86.

"Tresa Harrington
Dear Friends, it is with the most unimaginable pain and sadness, that I tell you my father, Pat Harrington, Jr. passed away at 11:09 PM this evening. We were all with him today and tonight: crying, laughing and loving him. This is the single most heart wrenching and physically painful thing, I've ever had to endure. I know many of you have lost parents and loved ones, and now I know what it's like to feel the kind of sadness and void that will never be filled but only softened with the passing of time. My heart is broken to pieces and I will cry and cry until I just won't. Love to you all! And as we head into this year, never be afraid to tell the people you love, that you love them."

Bonnie Franklin's stepdaughter posted a response:
"
Julie Minoff Tresa, I am Julie, Bonnie's stepdaughter And Jed Minoff's sister. After losing my beloved Dad and then dear Bon, I know the kind of pain you are enduring. I am so very sorry. I knew your Dad and he was warm and kind any moment I spent with him. At Bon's funeral, the last time I saw him, he didn't quite know who I was. Once I told him, he wrapped his arms around me. Such a sweet man. He died on What would have been Bonnie's 72nd bday. I am positive she will be one of the folks who greet him. She loved him and I am sure still does. My condolences and love to you and your whole family. May his memory be for a blessing."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He was always great as Schneider - playing him with a lot of vulnerability along with the usual swagger. He really made that part something special. And he'd been in TV for such a long time, yet he still felt fresh and relevant to that era. 

I love the name "Tresa." Good name. 

I hope he and Bonnie are laughing right now.

• Members

Today is officially a down day for me, for various reasons.

For some reason as a young child, I used to watch reruns of One Day At a Time, so I have memories of the show.  From everything I've read since reading the news, he seems to have been a very nice man and a respected actor.  And from that heartbreaking statement, his daughter loves him dearly.  I feel very sorry for her.

Someone please tell me that 2016 will get better.

• Members

He seemed like a well-liked man, which is no small feat in this business. I was a kid when ODAAT aired but remember it, and he played Schneider to perfection, his defining role.

With that said, is it sad that I also remember him as Chris Lorenzo's hound of a dad, Benny Lorenzo, on "Silk Stalkings"? Hee. He hit on Rita, before he knew she was his son's partner, too. Cute scene.

• Members

Really lovely tributes from his costars and family members:

Glenn Scarpelli:
"As most of you already know, PAT HARRINGTON passed away last night. I will love him FOREVER. He helped shape the man I have become. I live in gratitude that he was in my life. I feel privileged to have called him my friend. He brought so much joy and laughter to our planet. My heart is with his entire family.. his wife Sally, his amazing children Pat HarringtonTerry HarringtonTresa Harrington and Michael Harrington.. and his sister in lawCeleste Harrington. Pat died on Bonnie's birthday... it is my belief that it's a sign that she was one of his greeters on the other side. 
Until we meet again, Pat.... FOREVER in the hearts of those you touched (and there are so many). xoxoxo"

Valerie Bertinelli:
"He always made me laugh." 
💔

His granddaughter:
"Today was rough, but I can't help but think how incredibly lucky I am to have had this amazing person, that so many people adore, as my grandfather. The man who introduced himself to every one of my friends by transforming into a "gorilla" and picking "bugs" out of their hair, the guy who would crack jokes on everyone Christmas morning while sporting the wildest bedhead on the planet, and the guy who would hug the life out of you in the best way possible. That's how I will remember my Dadu. "Who's annoying?!"

• Members

I can't bring myself to watch this marathon.  It just makes me too sad.  Good Times it is.  Mr. Harrington was incredibly talented, and I particularly enjoyed his contributions to ODAAT reunion programs.  He was so great and convincing as Schneider, I wonder if you all remember his Trak Auto commercials that ran for some years.  He guest starred on The Golden Girls and I must have seen that episode four times before I realized that was "Schneider".

• Members

I watched a good bit of it and really enjoyed it. They flubbed and showed two eps that really weren't Schneider-centered (oddly enough, both had to do with one of the girls working at a restaurant), but it was a great marathon nonetheless. I'd never seen the one where Barbara's "exceptional" friend works for Schneider before, and boy what an awkward watch.

Archived