Suicide Squad

dragonflies

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Just like Batman v. Superman, this movie is looking to be a big pile of crap. Many reviews support that opinion, but I'm posting the link to this one because, brought to my attention on PTV, the last couple sentences made me laugh.

Link: http://www.vox.com/2016/8/4/12366370/suicide-squad-review-harley-quinn-will-smith-margot-robbie

My favourite part:

• Members

Symptomatic of the continuing problem created by WB with these movies.   Marvel took their time making movies with solo characters first, introducing everyone til eventually it made sense and people were interested when they started to meet up.  Warner Brothers had no patience and just threw a bunch of characters on the screen at once and said "We have a universe!  Aren't you excited?"   Except for the Joker most people don't know who these characters are, and from everything I have read the Joker is only in there to make sure there is one character the audience has heard of.  He has almost no function.   

They needed to do Superman, then Batman, then Wonder Woman, then Superman v Batman, then another couple of solo movies, introducing the villains along the way, then Justice League and Suicide Squad.   Marvel spent years creating this interlocking world of movies.   Iron Man came in 2008.  Avengers I think was 2012?  It's 2016 and they keep on expanding.   Patience is a virtue. 

• Members

Oh there are just so, so, so many but we can start with:

Also, after all of that endless buildup, The Joker is in it for less than 10 minutes.

Like quartermainefan said, they also give you zero buildup to know anything about these characters. I grew up with two brothers who loved DC and my husband is also a huge fan so I've spent enough time watching and hearing about it to have, I think, a fair grasp on who most of the characters are. I only knew The Joker, Harley, Amanda Waller, Batman, and Captain Boomerang. I have a feeling it's going to be the same for the general audience.

Have you seen it? If so, please explain to me why none of the stuff I listed above isn't offensive. 

• Members

Pretty much, Will Smith's performance is also a highlight, but I'd say that's about it. Harley is the only thing that makes the film tether able. They wound up making Harley and the Joker a love story.

Archived