Cinderella

YRBB

• Members

Teaser

Trailer

This looks like legit, straight-up escapist fairytale and I love it for that. Lily James as Cinderella seems brilliant casting, I am SO glad Helena Bonham Carter is the Fairy Godmother instead of the Evil Stepmother (LOL at her line about the glass shoes being totally comfortable) and Richard Madden is so so so so so so so so so so gorgeous (and he can act!).

March, please come soon.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know some Madden fans said he should have had the beard. I think he looks fine either way, although I don't like his hair there. Let the curls flow.

He's so much like old Hollywood stars - I really wish he'd get that type of recognition.

The trailer looks good. Most of the comments were about no one wanting to see more white fairy tales, who cares, and I get that, but it does look like a nice trailer. And I hope it does well for the actors.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I saw it on Saturday and it was fantastic! Richard Madden and the girl from Downton have such excellent chemistry. The story was so touching and being Disney it had really good messages. The entire theater was clapping by the end of it.

Cate Blanchett turned what could have been an extremely campy role into something a little respectable. I still hated the step mother but I semi understood where she was coming from.

• Members

Not entirely true. The Grimm brothers were the first to publish the tale in written form (in 1812) in German. There were also versions of the same material in French and Italian with minor differences.

The Disney adaption is based on the French version because the German "Aschenputtel" doesn't feature a carriage made of pumpkin, a fairy godmother nor a glass slipper (the slipper in "Aschenputtel" is made of gold). The German version is more down-to-earth and quite gothic.

Btw, I also loved Richard Madden on GoT (he was my favorite male actor on there).

• Members

He was one of my favorites too, tied with Alfie Allen.

I read some of his comments about how they had to work to make sure his bulge was well-hidden, because they didn't want viewers to notice a package instead of a prince I guess, which makes the comments I read from moviegoers who said they couldn't stop staring at his ass and bulge all the more amusing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Lovely little film. Absolutely lovely. While I did think they went too far (at certain points) with the cheesy moments, I understood what they were going for and I respect them for staying so true to what Cinderella is. The dress transformation for example definitely lingered on several seconds toooooo long but you can forgive them for that.

There were a few breathtaking scenes and shots (Ella and Kit dancing, Ella running through one of the palace rooms, not to mention the beautiful, thrilling gradual transformation of the carriage and the footmen etc back into animals and a pumpkin).

The sets & costumes -- absolutely gorgeous. I'll add the exterior shots of Cinderella's house, the kingdom, the palace to sets, because they looked fantastic too, but the interiors were breathtaking. And we can't deny that the stepmother's outfits were stunning. Cinderella's dress was wonderful too.

Helena Bonham Carter looked SO differently with another pair of teeth and she was mercifully much less OTT than usual.

Richard Madden... sigh. Such effortless, flowing charisma. He didn't even have to try. He just went from hunter, to swordsman to ballroom dancing, to falling in love like it was nothing. There was a particularly arresting moment when the Prince's father is dying and Richard, big sexy man that he is, is shown curling up like a baby and laying his head on his father, and it was beautifully emotional.

Lily James is, of course, a beautiful woman with a very difficult role--another one who felt completely effortless and was totally captivating. It was a bit tiring how she collapsed crying at least three or four times because everyone around her kept dying or betraying her, but what can you do? Fantastic chemistry with Madden as well.

Blanchett really took the part and put her own, fabulous, stamp on it. I'm glad they actually developed Lady Tremaine a bit more and gave her some sort of understandable motivation for her actions.

The sisters were fun and funny. I wish we had seen more ballroom shenanigans with them but they kept it pretty tight.

Finally, the little mice (which could not talk but were very much anthropomorphic) were adorable and the running gag with the goose was absolutely hilarious.

It is really amusing. I mean, you just can't stop staring.

Archived