November 10-14, 2014: Good Week For GH

Toups

• Members

The material MarDar did write was so shockingly poor it's tough for me to envision them ever having much of a chance at good writing, but I agree they also faced interference. I just don't think Tomlin is the main problem. The last time he was fired the only story the show had was a year of Chandler Massey leering at the camera like Don Knotts on Three's Company.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LMAO Carl. I don't disagree though. I think they had decent intentions but they were just too green to be HW's. They needed someone else with experience. I appreciated who they brought back and the idea to reboot the show but it all just got boring and then nothing made sense. I think they get knocked a bit more than they deserve.

I appreciate with Tomlin that he mines history, to a very small degree, but considering how he's driven off most of the leading men on the show and is basically the main head writer, who else would you blame? de Cazotte? Meng? Whitesell? I think there needs to be an overhaul, but also, it could always be worse.

• Members

I tend to put it on Corday. I think DAYS is also a transitory show by nature. Someone like James Scott is never going to be there forever. The only leading man I really think he had a lot to do with going was possibly Peter Reckell. People blame him for firings like Matt Ashford, but even when Tomlin was gone, Ashford quickly became a glorified extra.

I'm not saying Tomlin must stay. I think there are other people who can do the job. I just think he tends to get all the blame for the show's problems.

• Members

It's probably not fair to compare the past ratings week to the year before because as I mentioned above - it was the Eric/Kristen reveal. However, I completely agree the production model hinders DAYS greatly. It's not just stories that don't work, it's almost stories that may unexpectedly work. For example on B&B, I doubt they expected the Ridge/Caroline/Rick/Maya story to resonate with the audience the way it has and it's clear they are extending it because the film about a month or so in advance. Yes, it's a 30-min show, but even hour shows can quickly insert some 'bridge' scenes for an unexpectedly 'hot' story replacing scenes from stories that are not as hot or just fluff scenes. Whatever the 20th Annual "Plan to SAVE DAYS" is, it may be too late. (Even Y&R which hit ratings and creative lows in spring/summer, was able to reboot fairly quickly.)

• Errol unpinned this topic

Archived