Freddie Smith in car accident

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who gets fired for drunk driving? I can't tell you how many I've worked with. I know 'showbusiness' is different but at the same time, if there's a potential problem with alcohol, it would also look bad to fire someone who may/may not (not saying he is, just giving another example) need help.

I'm not judging anything until we know all of the details.

• Members

Assuming he is over the legal limit and gets a DUI he could easily be let go from Days. A felony. Not to mention the "behavior clauses" in every actor's contract.

Assuming he is over the legal limit and gets a DUI he could easily be let go from Days. A felony. Not to mention the "behavior clauses" in every actor's contract.

• Members

IF he is guilty of the offense, not much will happen - especially if first time caught. I hope for his sake and his passenger's that he wasn't irresponsible because he seems like a good guy. Celebrities and athletes are rarely punished for these things (and if they are - it's relatively light). DAYS has advantage of 5+ months of filming ahead - they won't do anything if they deem him "too valuable" and he'd be sent for "treatment."

The sad reality is the drunk driving kills 10000 people a year (more than guns) and 28 people die and 800 injured DAILY in the US because of drunk driving. Those are awful statistics, but the public doesn't want to give up alcohol and driving privileges. It's shocking how we tolerate this as a society. (Sorry for my soapbox, but I've been exposed to this true American tragedy and the lives it ruins.)

• Members

It isnt a felony, actaully.

And many, mandy soap opera sctors have them and you dont even know about it, and the ones we do hear about have never resulted in a firing.

Exactly,

Most reports about a situation like this will include speeding or drinking or involved, due to the age and time. Its in local papers too, not just for actors.

Exactly.

I have a DUI. It isnt osmething i am proud of, but ive been pretty open about it. I am actually surprised at how not strict the laws are with one. I lost my license for 30 days, had a fine, and did house arrest over community service. I also had to go drinking classes and attend AA. It sounds like a lot, and while ive honestly not done it again in the 3+ years since I got one, i also undertsand why so many second time offenses happen. People tend to not ake it seriously because its honestly not that bad going through everything. Also, its easy to sit behind a keyboard or even talk about how drinking and driving is wrong and bad - and it is - but do you all really never do it? never? You have never had some beer or a glass of wine with dinner and then drove home? Do you tolerate friends and family doing it? The legal limit isnt very hard to hit. I am not trying to say its no biggie - it is - i am trying to say that "he needs to be fired" needs to be looked at realistically.

Anyways, I have no idea if he was or wasnt drinking, or speeding, or if the car failed, or anything really other than there was an accident. He is ok, she seems like she will be OK and I hope so because shes a great girl. I wish the both of them the best.

• Members

As I recall, your DUI was pretty damned expensive though. I really think what you've described is a fair consequence for a first offense when no one was injured. If Freddie was over the limit (and I hope he wasn't) he'll probably face additional charges due to his friend's injuries.

I can honestly say I have never done it. However, I also learned to drive later in life, when I understood that driving is the only way most people will ever be responsible for the death or serious injury of another. It's always scared the hell out of me. Even the idea of running over someone's beloved pet freaks me out.

Cars are also the number one way most average citizens get in serious trouble with the law at all when you think about it. One wrong decision, even if it's a complete accident can land you in jail for years. I really wish public transportation were better in this country because I would love to drive a lot less then I do.

Overall, I don't judge other people for having a couple of drinks and driving. I will ride with someone, if I know they've only had a couple over the course of an hour or two.

Archived