Freddie Smith in car accident

• Members

Not to make excuses because, you're right, drunk driving is wrong. But when you're that slightly over the legal limit, to me that says "one too many beers at dinner" not "got sloshed doing jello shots at the bar". And to me, that does make a difference. People should be more careful, obviously, but it's very, very easy to hit the legal limit and not feel drunk at all.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd feel even more that way if it were my brother. A lot more. His life could have been completely destroyed if he had killed someone. However, I agree with the person who said this is a matter for the law to decided now. What any of us think on a soap board doesn't really matter at all.

Maybe if you have a very high tolerance, but to even hit the limit the average person has to have three drinks in an hour. The chart I posted earlier in the thread shows that. I'm on my ass, if I drink that much and I am not a small person.

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/drink-table.php

• Members

When it was Collen Zenk, I believe the general opinion was "Her divorce, her cancer, ATWT was cancelled......." So yes, it's interesting how reactions are different based on who has committed the crime.

I like Freddie Smith and have liked him a lot since 90210, but clearly he should receive whatever punishment the jurisdiction doles out. As for anything beyond that? I don't think I'm in any position to make suggestions on what his job, family, or girlfriend should do. It's not my business.

• Members

Yeah Im not going to be quick to judge. Unless one has a history of constantly drinking, one that gets drunk doesn't necessarily make a conscious decision to get behind the wheel while incapacitated. I know from personal experience as about 3 years ago, I got wasted celebrating a friend's birthday and tried to drive home. Luckily my friends took my keys away from me and I ended up passing out on her couch. Woke up the next morning not knowing that any of that went down. Considering I blacked out, I likely would have crashed my car had I not been stopped and Im grateful I was surrounded by people that cared enough to do that. So yeah, I don't think its always as simple as most people make it out to be bc if you are that drunk, a lot of times, you aren't thinking clearly and may not realize how bad off you are

• Members

People makes mistakes. Both he and his girlfriend are lucky it wasn't much worse for them and anyone else, and should learn from what happened and grow from it. He should complete and follow any punishment that is handed down. It wouldn't hurt for him to make a couple of public statements either. But the show won't fire him for this. If he had killed or seriously maimed someone, then yes. But not for this. And hopefully he learns and doesn't do it ever again.

• Members

My pal Ron found this and brought it to my attention:

The full police report, which I read several weeks ago, stated that Smith was under arrest for OVI.

A quick google search of OVI shows that that's what they call a DUI in Ohio.

I can't vouch for the veracity of everything below, but this website provides info on criminal penalties for an OVI in Ohio:
http://dui.drivinglaws.org/resources/ohio-first-of...

The site says if your alcohol level is over .08% (results say Smith's was), a person will serve a mandatory 72 hours in jail (and can be sentenced up to six months).

A first DUI in Ohio (known as OVI in Ohio), results in both criminal and administrative penalties for adult offenders.

Administrative Penalties
•The first time you are arrested and convicted of drunk driving in Ohio, you will receive an Administrative License Suspension (ALS) of 90 days. This ALS suspension is independent of your court ordered suspension that will be from 6 months to 3 years in duration.
•Ignition interlock devices not required, but in an effort to obtain hardship/occupations driving privilege during suspension period, first offense drivers will be required to utilize an ignition interlock device
•Treatment or assessments are not a requirement of reinstatement for first offenders
•Reinstatement fee = $450

Criminal Penalties
•If your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) was between .08%-.17% you will serve a mandatory 72 hours in jail (and can be sentenced up to six months).
•If BAC above .17, offender faces minimum incarceration period of six (6) days.
•You will also be ordered to pay a fine between $250 and $1,000 and do not include costs incurred in completing terms of sentence (such as costs of attendance in driver intervention program), nor do they cover costs associated with license reinstatement.
•Convictions carry over and influence future DUI charges and sentencing for a period of six (6) years in the state of Ohio

• Members
Thank you.

Let's not get all high and mighty in this thread guys.

John, let's stop acting like this has personally affected you. I'm not making excuses for Freddie but let's stop talking about knowing him personally and the decisions he makes.

I'm glad we're all so perfect. And no I am not discounting what happened to his girlfriend. She's still with him, right? Then let's stop.

And so you're neighbor that had one too many at the bar last night and made a very bad mistake deserves to lose their job? Freddie will get a slap on the wrist which sounds like it will disappoint some who are thirsty for his job to be taken from him. This thread won't end well.

Archived