The 10 most hated songs

Soapsuds

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oy, that Taylor Swift. One minute, she's telling the guy he belongs with her; the next, she says they are never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, getting back together. ("Like, ever.") Were Debbie Gibson and Tiffany so damn bipolar?

And if I were that guy, I would make like I totally lost Carly's number. #callyounever

You know, "Friday" was a pretty wretched song, sung by a then-teenaged girl whose voice was...well...not great. But the amount of venom spewed forth in Rebecca Black's direction was, in retrospect, not entirely deserved. For one, she didn't write it -- and even if she had, what do you expect a teenager to write or sing about? If she had performed something more provocative, I believe she would have caught just as much flak, if not worse, either for being a poseur or for being a total slut.

• Members

Queen Taylor.

Her poor haters stay pressed. She remains the voice of a generation, one of the consistently top rated and performing acts in the business. She's successful because she sings what she feels and people can connect with that.

Your faves could only get the critical and commercial success she does in their dreams.

Call me maybe is one of those songs I truly hate yet sing and big my head to when it's in for a few. Then I hate myself for it lol.

Friday is just... No. Awful.

• Members

YES. YES. YES. That song makes me physically ill. The first time I heard it, I vowed NEVER to listen to it again, I hated it THAT much. I broke that promise for some insane reason last night--nope, still hate it.

The fact that there are people who hate Terry Jacks' version of "Seasons in the Sun", which came out the same year as this song (1974, called by more than one person the worst year for pop music ever--music critic Greil Marcus was once quoted as saying “We could say [1974] was a conspiracy by Malcolm McLaren to set the stage for the Sex Pistols"), more than this atrocity completely boggles my mind. Seriously? This is MUCH worse than "Seasons in the Sun." RETCH.

This song, from the guy who gave us the Johnny Carson theme and "My Way." Alrighty then.

"Afternoon Delight" needs to be mentioned too. One of the biggest hits of 1976, but...ack. No.

ETA: FWIW, Here's the Billboard Year End list of the biggest hits of 1974. YMMV on whether or not it really was the worst year for pop music ever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1974

• Members

You could ask 100.000 people, and you would get 100.000 different lists of this kind

Most of these songs are so new that I've personally managed to avoid them altogether since I don't really listen to current music. The only ones I really recognized were "Cotton Eye Joe" and "The Ketchup Song" (which by the way is the second longest-running #1 on the Swedish charts with 17 weeks, only beaten by Baccara, who topped the charts for 20 straight weeks with "Yes Sir, I Can Boogie")

• Members

Haha!! 1974 was actually one of the best years in music history. There were just a few stinkers sprinkled in. But things like ":the Streak" don't bother me, that kind off stuff is just good for a laugh. Any year that can turn out a priceless pop gem like "Rock The Boat" is good in my book, and 1974 is also the year that Abba exploded, and Helen Reddy was still in the midst of her huge run of hits. . . I agree, the Paul Anka song is puke worthy. One of my most hated is this one, 8 freakin words in the whole song, and the most monotonous song ever.

Archived