Not one black recording artist hits number one spot on the charts in 2013

alphanguy74

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well... my Beyonce comment is just opinion, based on comparison of other singers who sing without the aid of electronic devices (other than microphones or recording instruments) I thought the charts still mattered because they are based not solely on airplay, but aloso on sales from Nielsen soundscan.

• Members

That IS the takeway. Alot of music in the past has been heavily influenced by black music, because it was so damn fantastic, that people were tripping over themselves to imitate it. They still do that, but it's crap imitating crap.. and people are tuning out in droves, as this article points out. the music industry is in the toilet, and that includes digital downloads.

https://variety.com/2014/biz/news/music-in-2013-purchases-down-6-timberlake-tops-album-sales-1201035104/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Both the white and black artists of today seem to be sorely lacking in quality compared to those of many decades ago.

"Happy" was a somewhat enjoyable song the first time I heard it, but then I quickly got sick of it when it was played a zillion times.

• Members

Hip hop as it has existed for the last 20 or so years has done more damage than most will
admit. It co-opts it's orignal people. It glorifies violence, breeds ignorance and destroys black cultural contributions in various ways, one is of reducing prominent expression to
samples or soundbites. It desensitizes people to participating in the most disgusting
behavoir and encourages them to look at acts that would have been considered cruel,
crude or not acceptable public actions as a societal norm.The level of negative incidents
in the day to day life in places where hip hop is king is not coincidental...Hip hop needs to change or I will celebrate it's death....

• Members

This claim seems dubious. Tons of people of color and other minorities had #1's within the past two years and are credited on number 1 hits.

Bruno Mars Locked Out Of Heaven, When I Was Your Man

Wanz Thrift Shop

Ray Dalton Can't Hold Us

Pharrel & T.I. Blurred Lines

Rihanna Monster

Pitbull Timber

Juicy J Dark Horse

Pharrel Happy

John Legend All Of Me

Archived