WE LOVE SOAPS: Spotlight on Days of our Lives' Susan Seaforth Hayes

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I admit I'm biased since Susan Seaforth Hayes is my all-time favorite soap actress (and Julie my favorite character) but I couldn't agree more that we need to see more of Julie in the capacity in which she was used in Nick's story. I have to admit it has hurt a bit to see her used as comic relief or as a busy body the last few years when Susan is capable of so much more. And I do think Julie is the best person for the younger characters to use as a sounding board. I know Days has tried to use Maggie in the that capacity but it doesn't work for me because she comes across as too prissy or weepy to be taken seriously.

• Members

I agree so much with this and everything written in the WLS article. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- nobody in the history of soaps suffered more beautifully than SSH. Days in the '70s relied an awful lot on extreme closeups of her mightily expressive, astonishingly beautiful face. I loved her scenes with Nick and wish we'd see more of her interacting with the younger crowd -- as well as more scenes with Doug!

• Members

Exactly, you always knew what Julie was thinking and feeling without her saying a word because Susan is so good at showing expression on her face. And she can still do it which is astonishing in Hollywood these days.

• Members

I agree with each sentiment expressed thus far, including those in the WLS article. Doug and Julie, IMO, are more than ready to inherit Tom and Alice Horton's mantle, and do so in a way that doesn't sacrifice their unique-ness among DAYS' signature couples.

• Members

The sad part is with Nick gone this may have been the last time Julie even got these types of emotional and introspective scenes, instead of just being kooky aunt or what have you.

I like Maggie, and I think she does work as a talk-to (just not with Daniel!), but Julie is a more complex character and works in a different capacity, given her past. And the Hortons as we know them now are not the family that Alice and Tom reared - they're not strong enough characters and don't have the strong relationships that past generation did. So someone like Julie tying them together would not be a bad idea. I think both Julie and Maggie could fill that role, in different ways.

It's too bad both of these characters are so mishandled by the show.

• Members

Le sigh. I don't know why Maggie was sacrificed to prop Daniel, but she was. On the other hand, though, I'd hate to see her gone from DAYS forever. In a perfect world, Maggie is there (with Sarah and BFTD Janice), and so are Doug and Julie, and Marlena (written properly, of course, like her old, pre-JER self), and Don Craig, and Susan Hunter, and Linda (and Melissa) Anderson, and Alex Marshall, and Bill and Laura and Mike, and Liz and Neil (Curtis) and Marie.

Heck, even Amanda is there -- maybe not still played by Mary Frann, but....

• Members

I included Melissa in the post I edited above. (There are a ton of characters who'd be on the canvas if I were writing DAYS, lol.) But you're right: it's shameful how we don't see neither her nor Sarah near enough. And while we're at it -- DAYS can bring just about everyone back from the dead, but it can't do jack for Janice Barnes?

• Members

Thanks for sharing the link. I have a soft spot for Bill and Susan Hayes, especially because their wedding anniversary is October 12, 1974 - the same as my parents (who, like the Hayeses, are still wed). Also, Susan was born the same year as my mom (they're only a couple of months apart in age).

I love the clip on YT from 1970 (?) when Doug and Julie share their first kiss. What a great scene. They should TOTALLY be used on the show more.

• Members

I can't beleive what some of these fools on FB are saying!

Alyssa Meissner Larsen When Julie was in the park with Nick and the so-called professional killer was in the woods I thought that would have been a great time to take them both out. Julie is annoying.

Stacie Shortall Bennett she is always over reacting. terrible. I think the only reason she is still there is because of Nick. hopefully she will be gone now

Renee Furr-Popp Doug's not that great of an actor either! Maybe back in the day when it was more cheesy and exaggerated, but now...it's AWFUL!

Myrna Cobart Talk about OVERACTING!! I was wishing she had been with Nick and was SHOT also!! Hate her now!!

Archived