New Irish Soap - Red Rock

Bright Eyes

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

An interview was done on an Ireland morning program with the two actors I first mentioned above and a producer for the show, Gareth Phillips, who is known to UK fans as having been the temporary series producer between Paul Marquess' nightmare run and the greatly underrated Emma Smithwick on Hollyoaks.

Most of us probably won't be able to watch it, but in case you can, here's a link to the video: http://www.tv3.ie/ireland_am_video.php?locID=1.65.74&video=83751

A poster on Digital Spy summed up the interview:

*The show opens with the community enveloped in a feud.
*The heart of the show will be the Garda station which Gareth Phillips says sets the show apart from the "artificial feel of other soaps" where everyone lives and works on the same street.
*There are two main families, the wealthy and privileged Hennesseys and the Kielys who are described as being "not quite gangsters but you wouldn't want them living next door to you".
*Adam Weafer plays the youngest Hennessey son while Jane McDonald plays Sharon Cleere, a new Garda who is quite ambitious and honest.
*It will air from January
*35 scripts have already been written and stories for the first year have already been mapped out.

• Members

I honestly think that it's more artificial to have the center of your soap be a police station than it is to have everyone live and work on the same street. I can see it being contrived to have everyone work on the same street/square, but you'll generally have drama with your neighbors regardless.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

As of Monday (November 3), production has started! Much more news in the articles below.

http://www.digitalspy.ca/soaps/news/a607647/production-gets-underway-on-tv3s-irish-soap-opera-red-rock.html#~oUI6N9uINs1RTL

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv3s-red-rock-ready-to-roll-as-cast-is-unveiled-30715297.html

EastEnders fans: What can you tell me about Peter McKenna, who will be the show runner?

Another article with pictures from the set:

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.813&article=149941

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just watched the first episode.

The weird Roseanne theme will take some getting used to for a soap opera. However, I found it to be a lot more polished than I imagined. I was also happy that I never struggled to understand what anybody was saying in their Irish brogues. The first episode never lagged either and has the gritty vibe of The Killing.

Richard Flood, who plays James McKay, has the first line in the series, simply being "McKay," as he answers his phone. I could have sworn I knew him from somewhere, but looking up his IMDb, it seems very unlikely. He must have one of those faces. No actor should out in a bad way and like I said about the production of the show, the actors seems more polished and even prettier, for lack of a better word, than I imagined.

• Members

Episode 2:

The two matriarchs being the pit bulls and catalysts for the reignited rivalry between the Hennesys and Kielys is a nice touch. I wonder how long it will be before we get a scene of them going head to head. Something to look forward towards.

The noble copper being led astray by her partner by telling her not to shop a colleague in to their hot boss (Richard Flood, whose face seems burned in my brain as someone recognizable) about sleeping with a minor is always a frustrating story to watch. I was one of the few people in existence to watch Treme, so I should have the stomach for it. Though they did leave a minor loophole in that she may not have been underage, just like they have with the Kiely murder by Michael stating he was provoked. How, we have yet to know, if true.

I forgot to mention this in my first episode post, but the actor playing David Hennesy seems a strange choice to be a Romeo type character. He resembles the same likeness of one of my favourite people, Xavier Dolan. In the same vein, the actress portraying Claire has a strong resemblance to Ashley Slanina-Davies. If you told me they were related, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Plotwise, a fourth story was introduced. Patricia Hennesy (the matriarch) having an affair with the father of the witness who claimed Michael initiated the fight. As this was clearly happening before the murder, I wonder what reasons they have for keeping it silent.

• 10 months later...

Archived