Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

I think Jamal felt more free to leave the apartment because he now has a mother with some dough. Lucious gave her at least 3 million a year salary, right?

I think the opposite. I feel Andre was right when he said Lucious loves both Hakeem and Jamal more than him because they are artists. I really think it's the gay angle that Lucious just can't come to terms with. That's why we see Lucious fighting the obvious pride he has in Jamal's talents. It's all over his face when Jamal performs, but then he can't admit that his gay son has the most talent and drive.

As far as talent goes, I think that the real money is when Hakeem and Jamal perform together. Hakeem might be the better live performer (not sure yet), but Jamal has more musical ability and work ethic. Right now Cookie and Lucious are too caught up in their little war to see that, especially with Andre stirring the pot.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Loved the episode.

First things first, Lucious Lyons. He's arrogant, selfish, and self centered in a way that only a self made man can be. He's egomaniacal, abusive, controlling, manipulative, a murderer of one his his best friends. A straight bastard. And I love him (just as much as I love Cookie). How did this happen!? This man invites Cookie into his home that he shares with his woman and sets her at the head of his table. That's bold. Terrence Howard does wonderful work. When jamal was playing that song, the look of recognition in his eyes and the stare at Cookie over the sip of the champagne. "So, you went to see Puma. Does he still like you?" The smile didn't reach his eyes. He was not happy. The sad part is that he took his jealousy out on Jamal. Which leads me to Cookie.

Cookie knew exactly what she was doing. The way she watched Lucious out the corner of her eye was hilarious. She got the exact response she was looking for. But I don't think she thought Lucious would take the song from Jamal. Poor Jamal is just a pawn in his mother's game.

Jamal breaks my heart every damn episode. He thinks his father hates him. Not even a little. I actually think he is his father's favorite. I liked how the writers gave us insight into why he is the way he is with Jamal. He is afraid. he's scared of what the world will do to him. It's "life or death in these streets".

Andre and his wife. O_O

And I guess Kitty think she is something because her father is a doctor? Mkay. I do love Kitty and her snobbishness though. She was a debutante. So was I. I can relate. Ha!

So is that young girl a cover for Hakeem. I forsee him and that older woman getting ugly sooner rather than later. She's going to turn into a stalker.

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

No mention of Gladys freaking Knight singing at Bunkie's funeral? Lawd all those big hats and black outfits, except of course for Lucious wearing all white, was pure soap. When Lucious was talking to that child outside the church, I just wanted to say, "Haven't you messed up enough kids with your 'men don't cry' bullshit?"

Andre and Rhonda are my favorite. They are so deeply twisted. I can't wait to find out more about them. They may be freaks but they're freaks who are open and honest with each other so that probably makes them healthier than just about everyone else.

The big family dinner with everyone throwing shade is a nighttime soap staple and I love seeing how Empire did it.

Jamal, honey, I love you but there's no way you are going to take Empire from your father. You just don't have the stones.

It was nice to see Cookie with Puma. I enjoyed seeing her with someone who appreciates her and treats her right.

• Members

I love when Cookie calls Anika Boo Boo Kitty and how sje said she was making her hot. It amused me.

Loved seeing Tasha back and actually having a speaking role. I lost it with the flashback and her hair and those big ass earings... God love the 90s.

Fun seeing Cuba and Naomi... I now want Lenny on here. I adored the statement Jamal made both inside the loft and oit on the streets. He and Cookie are really the main rootable factors of this show so I hope they don't f**k up my love for him.