Ratings from the 80's

• Members

Week ending March 4 1983

CBS -TV won daytime ratings for seventh consecutive week, averaging 8.1 rating /26 share for week ending March 4, compared with ABC -TV's 7.1/22 and NBC -TV's 5.5/18. During that week, CBS's Price is Right averaged 11.7/42, highest rating for any daytime show in two- and -one -half years.

Week ending May 20 1984

CBS won 36th consecutive week in daytime ratings, averaging 6.4/25 for week ending May 20, compared to 5.5/21 for ABC and 4.7/19 for NBC, according to CBS estimates.

Top five rated daytime shows were

1. Price is Right (CBS, 8.2/37)

2. Young and Restless (CBS, 7.9/31)

3. General Hospital (ABC, 7.8/27)

4. Guiding Light (CBS. 7.4/26)

5. All My Children (ABC, 7.4/26).

Week ending June 3 1984

CBS won daytime ratings race by more than one full rating point over closest competitor, ABC.

For week ended June 3, CBS recorded 7.2/25 in Nielsens  compared to 6.0/20 for ABC and 5.2/18 for NBC. Top five shows of week were 

1. Price is Right (9.5/37, CBS)

2. Young and Restless (8.8/30, CBS)

3. All  My Children (8.3/26, ABC)

4. Guiding Light (8.0/25, CBS)

5. General Hospital (7.9/25, ABC).

Week ending April 19 1985

CBS won daytime ratings for week of April 15 -19 with 6.1 rating and 24 share. ABC came in second with 5.5/21 and NBC came in third with 4.5/18.

CBS had five of daytime top 10, while ABC had three and NBC had two. Top 10 for week were:

1.General Hospital (ABC), 8.1/28

2. Price Is Right (CBS), 7.4/34

3. All My Children (ABC) 7.3/27

4. The Young and the Restless (CBS) 7.2/30

5. Guiding Light (CBS), 7.2/25

6. As the World Turns (CBS), 7.0/26

7. Wheel of Fortune (NBC), 6.7/31

8. Days of Our Lives (NBC), 6.5/24

9. Price is Right (CBS), 6.2/29

10.One Life to Live (ABC), 6.2/23.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Was the ratings success for GL based on Phillip/Beth/Mindy/Rick popularity and Reva? I am shocked how high those ratings are and wonder what could have been if they did not decimate the show. I was once super into GL history and nothing interests me from 1984-1989. It just sounds dreadful both the plotting and the casting. I wonder what could have been had they left things alone. 

• Members

I love ratings data, but I do question the highest ratings in two and a half years for The Price Is Right in May 1983. Maybe one and a half as I thought the Luke & Laura November 1981 episodes were in the 15-16 range.

• Members

Posted earlier in the thread. Yes the GH rating is higher than TPIR in 84.

That statement may have been CBS network spin.

Although the Daytime TV ratings are never clear on what they represent - is it a monthly average or just a random week from that month?

• Members

Interesting that the household numbers for the CBS and NBC soaps are pretty consistent from 1982 and 1992. Even though the household rating is smaller each point represents a larger quantity of households in 1992. Clearly the ABC soaps were at a high in 1982, but AMC is actually outperforming its household numbers from 82 in 1992. Helps me to understand that soap operas were still holding onto their audience even in the early 90s. I think Days is also doing better.

• 2 weeks later...