Unpopular Opinions of 2014

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll gladly repeat myself since you've taken to pretending as if you don't understand, Jasebot: folks need not get offended or defensive when they're rightfully clowned for their stupidity in rooting for toxic mess while whining about happy couples 'eating up their show'. Just as you can tout an asinine storyline idea for the sake of 'keeping your soap interesting', I can point out that you and other folks are full of it.

• Members

I sometimes baby sit during the week for a 6 yr old, and 8 year old and a 7 month old. All cuter kids with more personality than Lame's kids. I don't give a damn about Charlie and Mattie drawing pictures and their horrible names! Cane should never be allowed to name a child again. He gave 3 kids horrible names already.

• Members

Simply put, some folks talk a good game about wanting a good soap, but when it boils down to it, they are slurping up the very crap that they look down on other soap viewers (from other boards) for loving. As idiotic as the latter are, at least they are upfront about it instead of pretending that they are of a higher caliber.

• Members

I'm not pretending, I actually have no idea what you mean. I've never said that happy couples are eating up any show I watch. And I think there is a place for happy couples, so long as there continues to be some sort of drama or conflict either from within or without.

You don't have to agree with a couple I'd like to see, but to use the Y&R example, I don't have to agree that Chelsea and Adam, or Cane and Lily, or Michael and Lauren or Tyler and Abby, or Billy and Victoria or Hilary and Devon, or Noah and that one chick, or Chloe and...uh...Kevin? are interesting. And I think those couples are boring as sin, but I think the issues at Y&R run much deeper than 'they're all happy.' Because not all of them are. The show just stinks. The stories are bad, many of the couples are either uninspiring or played out.

• Members

Cornelius Smith had everything Bryton James supposedly lacks (good looks, muscles, charisma, personality) yet nobody had much of a problem with his potential love triangle with Randi & Madison being ended before it began so Madison could be placed with white Ryan & Scott while Frankie & Randi sat on the backburner for the majority of the rest of their run.

Even less felt Randi could have been a salvageable character with a good recast they just wanted her written off the show because Vasi couldn't act.

Tika Sumpter & Michael B. Jordan (like many other minority actors in soaps) had to go to primetime & film to get half the opportunities they never would've been afforded in Daytime.

The issue isn't about who is being labeled boring. It's about an already limited group of actors being held to tremendously unfair standards by viewers when they can't spin straw into gold from the very little airtime & (usually) offensive writing they're given.

• Members

I don't disagree with what you've said, though I'll maintain that the 'boring' and 'bland' tags that POC characters are given goes hand and hand with it. Certain folks use those labels as a means of keeping them in their place - especially when they feel that their soggy hero(in)es are threatened by their mere presence. It's really no different than what you've described.

• Members

that is not true. I remember this getting criticized quite a bit on here. I remember all the speculation that Madison was pregnant with his baby and I wanted that as well, but alas that never happened. Most people didn't want Madison with Ryan anyway bc it was obvious she'd be thrown under the bus for the inevitable Rylee reunion.

• Members

I actually saw a lot of people originally rooting for Madison's baby to be Frankie's. I was one of those people myself. Randi was dull and Denise Vasi had no charisma.

I do agree that a lot of actors of color are held to a higher acting standard on soaps without half the character motivation. Usually the same ones who end up leaving soaps and booking primetime roles immediately. But the whole characters like Devon and Sabrina are called boring because of skin color or cultural background isn't necessarily true.

• Members

yeah her ethnicity had nothing to do with why people found her to be a bore. I think she could have had potential had they made her a psycho bitch as originally teased, but the perfect Mary Sue route was nauseating and a total snoozefest

The character of Rafe on Days is latino and I find him boring. Is his race the reason I feel that way? Jordan is played by an actress of Spanish descent; Im guessing that's the main reason I also find her to be the most boring new character of 2013.

Archived