TV Guide Interview with GH Head Writer Ron Carlivati

Khan

• Members

They have to be hidden because the writing cant let them escape. There is nothing critical they can do in that lab except escape and if they do that then the story in PC ends. I am sure we will see them when it is time for them to escape.

Years ago JER and DOOL had Victor, Caroline, Marlena and Jack captured in a castle for months and months on end. I think we saw them once every three months just to make sure they were alive. It worked perfectly for the story at the time.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like this post. I didn't realize soap press sucked up so much to TPTB. It's beyond obvious. And I used to respect Logan. No more.

I do feel like the criticism towards Ron is a little bit unwarranted when it comes to how often a character is on or written for. I think that's all Frank. He's the EP. I fully believe Frank is the one who wants the OLTL3 and Sonny & Co. on consistently. Ron is more a fan of the old school GH but I suspect Frank thinks the 80s stars are "old-timers" and shouldn't be on too much. I believe Frank is the one who is hiring all the young newbies in the hopes that a few of them will become popular. Then he can dump the 80s stars and move onto his true GH-OLTL vision.

• Members

Yay, gendered insults are awesome! Ugh.

I can't believe this guy considers being compared to Passions a compliment. I mean, honestly...

Also Ron doesn't seem to realize that putting characters on "hold" is not the way life works. And soap operas are supposed to be akin to peeking into your neighbors windows. Laura's life isn't on pause until she can fall in love with Luke or Scotty again. But he treats characters this way, as though they've been doing nothing in the 3 month, 6 years, 2 decades that they're off a show. It takes me out of the story (not that I watch GH but I know his writing). I think he always envisions characters at the height of their "wackiness", so they're always stuck in this endless loop.

• Members

Look, I used to always defend Ron and Frank's rotating approach to their canvas and stories on OLTL, because for the first several years I thought it worked very well. It was a smart way to manage their meager budget and still service their entire ensemble, give everyone a little something. But after a certain point that rotation got all out of whack, and on GH it really isn't working these days.

And I really don't need to be lectured by Ron Carlivati on how to watch the show. I don't watch soaps for one character or couple; I never have. I may have some I particularly enjoy, but I always have watched for the whole show and the tapestry, as he says. What he's missing here is that it's one thing to watch the show for the show and the story and not individual characters; it's quite another to write the show only for your story and not characters.

I get to watch the show for the show - you don't get to write it entirely for plot vs. character. And if and when you do, you have failed. Character is what soaps are built on.

That whole interview came off like Michael Logan struggling to critique Ron without actually risking being a journalist or getting unfollowed on Twitter for even mild disagreement. It was like an encounter group.

• Members

Blah blah blah bash Ron bash Ron, this board is so predictable. OLTL Liz OLTL Liz "she" OLTL Liz "she", rinse, repeat. The idea he isn't "crucified" makes me laugh.

The rotating characters is exactly what they do on "Coronation Street," and it works very well. Ron Carlivati does not write the show only for his characters. Airtime is far more evenly dispersed than on most soaps. It just comes in spurts. The leaders in airtime for the year are, I believe, Sonny, Carly, and Michael, none of whom are Ron Carlivati creations.

Glad no one was fired and I hope Laura will be back soon.

Agree with most of quartermainefan's points.

Soaps always need to improve on minority representation, that's not just a Ron Carlivati thing. Felix is on a lot, with story, and if anything is a bit of a Carlivati pet, but of course people hate Felix so he doesn't count.

The show is doing well and I look forward to it every day!

• Members

Corrie only started a cast rotation system in recent years and I don't think it's ever been utilized as poorly as Ron and Frank do it. I also don't think modern Corrie is anything to emulate, although modern Corrie and Ron seem to have similar ideas about rape.

The questions were sycophantic and the answers either avoided the actual writing of the show, or gave answers Ron probably didn't intend to give (ie, the OLTL 3 are a flop).

Archived