B&B: November 13 Discussion Thread

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why did Alli look so basic in her debut? This girl looks nothing like the seed of Thorne & Darla. Or a Forrester ingenue period. She looked like any normal person off the street. And I hate that Brad is about to pull a Carlivati and make Alli become Ugly Betty 3.0. I can smell it a mile away. I'd rather she'd been an ice queen like Granny Steph--dripping in diamonds & seeking vengeance--preferably against Taylor but sadly she isn't on the show anymore.

• Members

you know all the young Forrester girls are virginal goodies. Every single one of them has to be portrayed as some innocent flower. Megan, Bridget, Phoebe, Steffy and now Alexandra have debuted like this. Maybe she'll eventually become a bitch like Steffy did after a couple of years. None of them take after Stephanie from the getgo. Which is kind of interesting bc on Days, theres the opposite issue with the Brady girls as all of them except for Carrie were troubled bad girls

• Members

I think for the first 2 years or so, B&B genuinely took itself seriously. I think, once they added the Sally Spectra, the camp factor entered in. Perhaps they believed the show was too staid and wanted to establish themselves apart from their older sister show Y&R. In any case, the Dynasty type catfights between Stephanie and Sally which were fun, was definitely the earliest I remember of the direction of the show changing.

• Members

While Sally was camp, she brought a much needed "working" class to B&B, which in many ways was like ATWT before Marland brought the Snyders (everyone was rich, well-to-do). With Sally, you had someone who had climbed and clawed her way. However, it was organic to the show, because Spectra was a design firm (knock-off) and that created a new sense of tension for Forrester.

Things went in a weird direction some time in the mid-1990s. And I agree with Elsa that changing Stephanie from a sophisticated, refine - but emotionally cold - woman into this bizarre control freak was a bad move - hiring someone to attack Brooke? Buying a guy and telling Brooke to shoot herself? C'mon! To be honest, except for respect for Susan Flannery as a legendary actor, the Stephanie character was a joke. Considering the fact that show has continued it's two year growth even after Stephanie was killed on-screen, I think a lot of viewers agree with me.

• Members

The scenes with Stephanie attacking Brooke at the cabin (over Thorne) were the biggest indication that Stephanie had become a joke. The mob boss version of Stephanie, with all the endless slapping, punching, etc. was ridiculous.

Sally was camp but she also had a lot of heart and pathos. She was an old Hollywood movie broad.

Stephanie, and all that with Pam and Donna Duck, Amber, etc. had a very different tone, one that misses more than hits.

• Members

The thing about Stephanie is, that no matter when you tuned in to see her, she would get worse and worse as the years progressed. I wasn't watching when Stephanie was more grounded and real, as I first tuned in when Sheila was poisoning Stephanie with mercury and Dylan was a secret stripper, so the Stephanie I knew, even during the mid-90s was different to the Stephanie of the 80s, but would start to change even more with the Brooke/Thorne romance, which probably was the time when her character assassination truly begun. She just snowballed from then onwards, to the point where she became cold, detached, deranged, hypocritical and violent; facilitating Brooke's rape, and telling her to shot herself, was a real low point for the character - in fact, those years were low points in the show's history, IMO.

ITA about Sally. She was campy, in a larger-than-life kind of way, but her heart and pathos kept her grounded. I think the show has suffered without Sally. The campy nonsense they did with Pam and Donna was farcical and in poor taste, IMO. It was like a bullying story gone bad, and one that wasn't good to watch.

I loved Amber. But, even her stories became stupid, like introducing her random identical twin April.

I think the show struggled around the time of 2003-ish in not knowing how to progress the characters and the show, so they experimented with new characters who didn't last, changed the focus of the show from fashion to Marone Industries, and started muddying the characters, like having Taylor kill Darla and become an alcoholic who seduced Rick, or the time they brought Sheila back, but struggled to give her any decent development.

Clearly the show is doing something right ATM, but it's style and vision isn't the B&B I remember and loved; it's not the same any more, even if they are repeating past "successful" themes.

• Members

LOVED the Thorne/Alley scenes from a few days ago. After some of those surreal conversations that Brooke/Katie had during the affair, it's almost odd seeing these sweet, realistic family scenes.

ETA: Holy $hit! I'm watching the next episode and Quinn just stabbed Bill's chest with that little sword necklace she made for him and licked his blood off of her fingers!! I did not see that coming. LMAO. I'm surprised Bill didn't hit her.

• Members

Kinda hated HOPE as the new matriarch (Paging Taylor or Steffy!) but it's better than Brooke, so...

The Thanksgiving episode was VERY nice and they included the entire cast. It also showed that this show can still be very good and does understand its basics: family and characters. Yet, they fail to deliver this more often. Sigh!

• Members

Have you seen the episode yet? she was all kinds of smug and festive sitting at the stern side of the table for Thanksgiving dinner; she called for peace amongst the guests, she organized everything, she.... She was as meddlesome as soap matriarch can be.

Wouldn't be surprised if SHE actually performs the marriage ceremony of Rick and Caroline on Monday!?

Archived