• Last Reply
  • Members

"GL

Monday: 2.3/2,715,000

Tuesday: 2.3/2,826,000

Wednesday: 2.1/2,497,000

Thursday: 2.4/2,902,000

Friday: 2.1/2,564,000"

Tell me. Wasn't last Wednesday's ISL about Jonathan?

After all, I need to know all the facts before I start LMAO.

• Members

Well, I know that I have been watching AMC all this week. The explosion and its aftermath have been great.

I had planned on ending my self-imposed exile from Days, while Jack remains dead for a third time, to watch Zack's funeral. But once I heard Thursday featured a Jennifer/Frankie kiss I decided to stay away. Life is too short to watch something that just gets you upset.

• Members

Wow awesome numbers for AMC! 3.0's I haven't seen those in almost a year so its paying off so far and hopefully he explosion will get them even higher! I dunno how far they will come crashing down to earth after this, but maybe they will hold some viewers for Dixie..... I am hoping anyway. Good job for all of ABC....

• Members

Yeah, it was....these ratings really boggle my mind, though. Even if you hate Jonathan, his ISL was really good. It was character driven, it brought up history and the acting was top notch.

I'm curious as to what happened Thursday, though. Hmm...I think that the one where Cassie & Reva go to RJ's play, and Reva later tries to ask Josh out but he turns her down..and also Jonathan threatens Sandy not knowing that Sandy is taping the entire thing..I don't remember.

Are they slipping or did the soaps normally below it improve significantly over the last week? I don't wish ATWT any harm here but I will never understand how it is doing better ratings-wise than GL when it has such mediocre to piss-a-- poor stories.

• Members

"Yeah, it was....these ratings really boggle my mind, though. Even if you hate Jonathan, his ISL was really good. It was character driven, it brought up history and the acting was top notch."

Honestly, I think the main reason for the drop-off on monday is what can be expected with focusing an episode on only one character. Part of what I was fearing about this "Inside the Light" concept was that those who enjoy the character will watch, and the viewers who don't like or are simply indifferent to him won't. I think that with these "ISL" episodes, the concepts could be integrate with little effort into the regular shows. With other characters and stories going on, it could make the daily episodes stronger. I mean hell, why should there be a special episode to provide character-driven, introspective drama?

• Members

You make a good point. But, there's something else that bugs me about these "Inside the Light" episodes. The way they promote them. I think it's misleading and wasteful to show these little clips of the actors sitting in the director's chair talking about their character or their co-stars or whatever. It's interesting, I guess, but it gives the impression that that's how these episodes are constructed and that they're "stand-alones" (which is not entirely true), and that might turn some people off. I've noticed that these episodes have been some of the least watched according to the Nielsen dailies and I think it would help if, for instance, if they showed actual scenes of the "Dinah episode" in the daily promos instead, because even if you aren't a fan of Dinah's, you might still decide to tune in because it also had Blake, Rick, Frank, etc.,. Or, you might not be a Jonathan fan, but you might still be intrigued by the "Christmas Carol" aspect of the episode.

Personally, what I have found most interesting about these episodes are not the characters they focus on, but twists in the storytelling. They've all been interesting, so far, except for the NoCassie/Scruffey episode which came off as just another episode. And it focused of NoCassie and Scruffey. LOL!

• Members

Even though it remains the most-watched daytime drama (and isn't in danger of losing that designation), the powers that be at CBS's "The Young and the Restless" are shaking up things behind the scenes. Among the surprising, and unprecedented changes...

*Co-head writers Jack Smith and Kay Alden have been demoted. Smith and Alden will remain with the show and report to the new head writer.

*Lynn Marie Latham, the current story consultant, has been promoted to Head Writer. Latham has previously worked on such primetime fare as "Knots Landing" on CBS and "Homefront" on ABC, among others. Latham also served as head writer of ABC's daytime soap "Port Charles". (Current CBS Daytime President Barbara Bloom also wrote for PC.)

*In addition to being demoted from head writer, Jack Smith has been relieved of his duties as executive producer. In an unprecedented move, the position is being eliminated. Supervising Producer Ed Scott, himself a former executive producer, will take over the day-to-day operations of "Y&R". To put the executive producer position in perspective, it is comparable to a CEO of a company.

It will be interesting to see what affect these changes will have on what viewers see on the screen.

• Members
See, I don't think these ITL episodes are standalone..except for Harley's which went nowhere. I've noticed that things that were brought up/happened in those episodes have been carried over to future episodes (ie. Tammy's forgiveness of Jonathan in Jon's ITL was just brought up yesterday and is being paralleled with the Jeffrey/Cassie situation...Buzz & Olivia's one-nighter is going to open up another whole can of worms..they're not going to forget about that anytime soon..)

What I like about GL is that they don't give too much away with their previews so I don't mind seeing the actors on the director's chairs talking about their characters. Plus, they do show a preview of the ITL episodes every Tuesday. I don't think it'd be a good idea to show a promo every day for an entire week before Wednesday rolls around. And tracking back to the previews that they do give, they do give some type of indication as to what kind of storytelling they will be doing for a show...the preview for Josh & Reva's episode was them saying hi to their kids in front of a camera...the preview for Jeffrey & Cassie's show showed Cassie "seeing" Richard indicating that she was going to have visions or flashbacks, etc.

I've also read that several areas are deciding not to air the ITL shows for whatever reason so that adds to the list of factors as to why GL's ratings for Wednesdays are low. I have major beef with the way some TV affiliates treat the this show...they either air it early in the morning where few people are awake or at home to watch it or they don't air it at all. No wonder the ratings are so crappy...that's one big reason I don't take ratings too seriously. The numbers alone don't take into consideration all the other factors involved in why someone ends up watching a show or not.

• Members

"See, I don't think these ITL episodes are standalone"

Yeah, I didn't mean to say that they are standalone episodes. It's just I think that the stories in them could be integrated into the stories. Soaps have always gone on the principle that if a fan isn't enjoying a story, there is hopefully another story that they DO like.

"I've also read that several areas are deciding not to air the ITL shows for whatever reason so that adds to the list of factors as to why GL's ratings for Wednesdays are low."

Really? I just don't see how CBS, who seems to be putting some advertising muscle behind these ITL episodes, could tell the affiliates that they are optional. It just does not make any sense to me. But I will admit that the affiliates have always had a stick up their ass as far as GL is concerned, at least for the past decade.

Archived